Shears and the TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience bringing shears on with carry on baggage? I actually asked the TSA if they would allow them (since they fit within the requirements for <4" blade on scissors) but they said they could not confirm it one way or another, and I would have to go to the security line.

Seems a bit awkward...

TSA: Prohibited Items

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches Yes Yes

(yes for checked in and yes for carry on)

Fantastic. I would feel naked without them underwater! :)

Should be interesting to see if the addition of the shears means that they go through my divecaddy or not.

I pack anything that could possibly get nixed in my checked luggage. The reason they wouldn't answer you other than referring to the published document is there seems to be a lot left to the discretion on the part of the local screening agents.

So I think the answer is really - try it at your own risk. Luckily shears are generally cheap.

Yeah, I lost my 6 inch crescent wrench in Teipei - I was just trying to lighten my check on bag to make 50lbs. Every airport you go through there is the potential for different standard our someone waking up on the wrong side of the bed.

I carry copies of the pertinant TSA rules in/with the carry-on item in question. It might piss them off at first, but in the end, like children, they don't want to be wrong in public.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom