Shears + line cutter + locking sheath oh man! Way to go Leatherman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
Really excited about this find: Leatherman Raptor Shears Medical Multitool

I'm a new diver but I picked up right away on the silliness of going underwater armed for war (unless that's actually what you're doing)...my daddy taught me well - "never open your knife in the car" "never open your knife on a bike" "always be sure you're on steady ground when you're knife's open" - and while he never said anything about scuba diving, he programmed me to imagine about that 7" rambo blade cutting a hose or an artery when I'm moving underwater. Just a week ago I was diving with three cops during our AOW class. All three had big brand new knives strapped to their calves. One kept taking it out to make jokes - on the boat while we were crashing through waves, in the surf as we made our way in to a shore dive, and underwater when we were all close together descending along an anchor line. Another one kicked his knife right out of the sheath and lost it to the bottom. I still don't have a diving knife, but I've collected knives for 25 years (my most cherished is the swiss my dad gave me at 8years old). Knives are sexy, men like knives, we want them. I won't go into the psychology but I think most of us just get that a knife is an admirable thing. BUT, a knife is also a tool, and just like bringing a hammer into a cavern dive, a bowie knife is just a stupid choice for the task at hand.

A knife IS important, I'm told, for diving. Or rather, a cutting device is important. Trauma shears and line cutters seem to be the favorites among veteran divers who aren't planning to kill something (e.g. fish, combat diver, nearby buddy). So, I've been looking for some cheap option that can stow away on my BC securely and with a low profile. I can't believe what I found. Leatherman makes a folding trauma shear and line-cutter ("seatbelt cutter") with a locking plastic sheath that can me mounted at any angle. It's not really cheap, but cheaper than the titanium knives I saw, and for me it was a no-brainer because I had dividends from REI that covered the whole purchase. I'll follow up when I get them and try them in the water. If I can keep these rust-free (might be exclusively for my fresh-water kit), and maybe dip the handles in yellow paint, then I am going to be a happy diver!

$60 at REI.com Youtube review here
leatherman-raptor-shears.jpg70-0014-6.jpgP1220756-900x601.jpg

Last edited:
Salt water + that = cluster:censored:. I'll stick with my $5/ea bulk purchased trauma shears with the cheap PVD coating.

Salt water + that = cluster:censored:. I'll stick with my $5/ea bulk purchased trauma shears with the cheap PVD coating.

Ditto. All flash and no gas. I perfer to have one of each - knife, trilobite, and shears stored in different places. If I drop one I have another to work with. In general though, I've found the $3 medial trauma shears are by far the best. Rust? Who cares. But for the most part they dont rust anyway (rem: blood is pretty corrosive stuff) if you rinse them off. Same goes with the trilo.

I don't bother with the flashy multi-gagets for diving. Land survival, yeah maybe....

I agree with Dr. Lecter. If they weren't designed to be underwater for many long periods of time then I'd avoid them. Also, don't know if you are using gloves but those look a little too complicated to work with a pair of gloves on. If you do wear dive gloves, wear them to the REI and try handling the shears with the gloves on.

I say this with Peace and Love...

First, knives are sexy??? WOMEN are sexy, knives are metal and plastic tools.

Second, that contraption looks like it was put together by a blind guy on Meth. Remember to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Safe & Simple)

Third...your avatar self-describes you as a "Future cave-diving paleontoligist in need of equipment and training" with 0-24 dives. I'm no cave diver...and have no desire to be...but I know those guys are all about safety, simplicity and the elimination of anything that isn't necessary or might get you killed. I gotta believe a trained cave diver would take one look at that contraption and blow an O-Ring!

Seriously, rethink your purchase and get a simple small line cutter.

Yeah, bulk is good. You can just throw them away when they become dull.

Yup, I agree with everything that has been said here, and I think that you will find that most experienced divers feel the same way.

That tool is clearly not meant for use while diving. Also, multi-function tools in general are rarely as good at their individual tasks as dedicated tools.

A cutting tool is an extremely important thing to have if you are diving anywhere where entanglement is an issue (that's the main reason for carrying one). For that reason, I always carry two, in case one gets dropped. Trauma shears on my waistband, and a trilobite on my computer wrist bungee.

As one of my buddies likes to say, "That's a solution looking for a problem".

In theory, it looks like a great idea, and Leatherman makes some great combination tools. I carry a Skeletool every day, and use it every day. Everything you need, but nothing you don't. On paper, this looks like a similar idea. Unfortunately, we don't dive on paper, and I'm guessing the design engineer doesn't dive at all. Also, as has been mentioned, is having just one tool. If you lose it, you've lost all your cutting capability.

Personally, I carry a combination of two of these three: trauma shears, a Benchmade 8, Spyderco Atlantic.

Really excited about this find: Leatherman Raptor Shears Medical Multitool
Just a week ago I was diving with three cops during our AOW class. All three had big brand new knives strapped to their calves. One kept taking it out to make jokes - on the boat while we were crashing through waves, in the surf as we made our way in to a shore dive, and underwater when we were all close together descending along an anchor line. Another one kicked his knife right out of the sheath and lost it to the bottom. I still don't have a diving knife, but I've collected knives for 25 years (my most cherished is the swiss my dad gave me at 8years old). Knives are sexy, men like knives, we want them. I won't go into the psychology but I think most of us just get that a knife is an admirable thing.

That's the beautiful thing about trauma shears; they're decidedly not "sexy", and aren't pretending to be.

Wow! I see line trap written all over that thing. I sell the EEZY CUT trilobite for under 30 bucks, add a pack of steak knives from the dollar store for $5. Cut the tips off and shove it in an old mini mag lite sheath, get a 3 pack of EMT shears from Harbor Freight for less than $10. So for $15 less you have enough cutting tools to last a number of years that you can stow in strategic places so they are always accessible by either hand. I also agree with the apparent difficulty in using something like that with heavy gloves on.

The pictures of that thing look kinda cool. But the one with the thing in the sheath with the tip sticking out the bottom does not inspire confidence. bend the wrong way and he's getting a bruised bottom rib and the point in the thigh. They really should have people who know knives model them and arrange em on a hip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom