Shearwater AI transmitter in rec sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSEA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I am getting a Shearwater Perdix AI and would appriciate a few thoughts.

Current setup:
- 6" rubber with SPG pointing down

Planned setup:
- 6" rubber with AI transmitter, hold against tank with a bungee (reducing entanglement risk and risk of boatsman holdinh my tank by the transmitter)
- Button SPG on the upper HP port as backup (no entanglement risk at all)

I personally do not see an increased entanglement risk compared to other SM configs but instead the beauty of having both gas preasures on my Perdix.

Further I understand that the Perdix AI with serial number registered transmitters are very reliable and do not have the false reading issues like Suunto D6i had.

About myself: Clearly reg diving only with a bit of wreck diving in the future.

Would appreciate some thoughts :)

Cheers,
Dan

Sounds like what I would do if I had the AI version. Just make sure the tank isn't between your transmitter and the computer and you should be fine.

I don't dive side mount, but I do carry side slung stages/Ponies

Your suggestion is exactly what I do, with the exception of the SPG, I still use my 1" SPG on a short hose, because (a) I already had it (b) my eyes are too old for button gauges.

I don't have any issues with the tank between the transmitter and the computer, however I use the Eon and their pods "may" be different as far as range and signals go

For all of my Transmitters in the short hose, I have the Scubapro Quick disconnect so that I can easily take them off for transit or protection as I see fit.

That's it really.

Thanks for the prompt feedback both of you.
[..] I still use my 1" SPG on a short hose, because [..] my eyes are too old for button gauges. [..]

Very valid - I plan to treat them as backup only. From what I heard, the transmitter readings are very precise. In case of any doubt, the button SPG shall just give an idicator if 50 or 100 bar ;-)

[..] I have the Scubapro Quick disconnect so that I can easily take them off for transit or protection as I see fit.

Personally not a big fan as an additional failure point, but fair enough. Everyone has different needs.

Frankly, quite surprised that none of the tec divers are commenting yet and suggesting that this would be a no-go. Was also hoping for good reasons / discussions why my idea above is not great / under which circumstances it would not ;-)

Last edited:
I'm currently only doing rec sidemount, but I use the Oceanic transmitters (same as Perdix) with two seperate computers. Right wrist for right tank left for left. Works great and I keep 1.5" gauges on short hose for backup. I'm using an HP splitter on the bottom port of my TX50s with the transmitter directly on the splitter (short hose on the other port). It allows the transmitter to swival around a bit. In my mind this helps prevent it from snagging and breaking.

Last edited:
I still use my 1" SPG on a short hose, because (a) I already had it (b) my eyes are too old for button gauges.

These button gauges are 1". And they're only $15. And they are pretty beef metal bodies.

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

I use them on my deco bottle reg and my single tank reg set.

The single tank reg set only has the button gauge and my AI transmitter. I've had no issues with that and would run the same config if I were doing recreational side mount.

I screw my transmitter straight into whatever 1st stage I use it with. I don't see any need for a quick disconnect. I only screw them in hand tight. With no pressure in the 1st stage, they unscrew by hand pretty easily. I know you're only supposed to unscrew them using a wrench on the base, but doing it by hand hasn't been an issue for me. Like I said, they aren't *that* tight when there's no pressure on them. I keep a hex wrench in my reg bag, so it makes it quick and to pull the port plug from a different reg and swap the plug and transmitter between the two regs. Not as quick and easy as having 2 HP hoses with QD fittings, but less expensive and less failure points on my rig.

These button gauges are 1". And they're only $15. And they are pretty beef metal bodies. Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face [..]

Exactly what I had in mind / ordered from DGX today. The beauty is that they are so tiny, there is no risk of entanglement).

I screw my transmitter straight into whatever 1st stage I use it with.

Agree with the 'less failure part", however, I often heard from Tec divers that transmitters (and particularly having them attached straight to the stage) are a no-go, as you could easily run into entanglement.
Further, as per my earlier point: I have seen more than one boots-man, that tried to carry / pull my tank where he shouldn't have his hands ;-)

Anyway - glad to see that my idea with button / mini SPG and transmitter is obviously not completely off ;-)

I orient my reg and transmitter so that the transmitter points down, from the valve towards the tank.

Depending on the 1st stage, it seems like that would be feasible even in sidemount. Oriented that way, I don't feel like it's an entanglement hazard, and it doesn't seem like a likely place for anyone to grab when lifting the tank. But then, I don't dive sidemount, so what do I know. :) Maybe there is no way to get satisfactory hose routing with the 1st stage turned like that...?

Two questions:
1. Why a button gauge backup?
2 Can you read a button gauge underwater and is it accurate enough?

I'am serious about these questions. In my opinion a gauge backup in this case is not necessary for sm rec diving. You will always have plenty of gas when your trasnmitters might fail.

I use 1.5" guages. I agree it's very difuclut to reed the button gauges although the 1" ones described above look better than what I have used. As for backup, I just don't trust the wireless link although I find it very convenient and have never had a problem. I did have a water in the tank incident in once, my computer kept verying between 200 and 2k PSI. I may have written it off to a computer/transmitter problem if I haddent seen the same thing on my backup gauge. For that matter, I've been asked a lot why I carry redundent gas for rec diving but I still do it.

Back
Top Bottom