Shearwater Cloud Desktop update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Cloud

Registered
Reaction score
We’ve been working long hours and have made a lot of progress towards the completion of a viable release of Shearwater Cloud Desktop. However, we think that it is not yet ready to meet the standards that our customers have come to expect and deserve. We still need to put in a little more work into the Cloud Desktop interface. Thank you for your continued patience.

Will the desktop still have the app as well as the cloud capability. I am quite happy and comfortable with my app on my desktop. I'm not sure what the desktop cloud is going to give me.

Thanks - M²

Will the desktop still have the app as well as the cloud capability. I am quite happy and comfortable with my app on my desktop. I'm not sure what the desktop cloud is going to give me.

Thanks - M²
Well, once Desktop has cloud you only need to sync once to have all dives across devices. These days it's quicker and easier for me to sync to my phone right away after a dive and enter gas etc.. This way I could sync on the phone and when I get home to my Mac the dive is already there

I'm kind of old school and dont really trust the cloud. The cloud is on SOMEONE'S server and I don't know who that someone is. I may be unjustly paranoid, but I always try to remember that just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that someone is NOT out to get me. :fear::)

Cheers - M²

Last edited:
Well, once Desktop has cloud you only need to sync once to have all dives across devices. These days it's quicker and easier for me to sync to my phone right away after a dive and enter gas etc.. This way I could sync on the phone and when I get home to my Mac the dive is already there

I wish I could get my Perdix to sync with my phone. So unfortunately I have to resort to syncing with my computer.

Does dive data sync from computer to mobile app or is it in reverse only (mobile app to desktop)?

Last I checked, only the mobile app synced with the cloud.

Last I checked, only the mobile app synced with the cloud.
That's all I've been able to do. I'm not sure how I got my dives on my phone. I thought it was over Bluetooth. How do my dives get into this mysterious cloud and where is the cloud really. It rained today, but on the day my dives went on my phone it was a case of severe clear.

Cheers - M²

I take above with a pinch of salt :wink:
Anyway, here is how cloud storage usually works roughly with regards to user data:
- data is captured on one device (here divedata is transferred via bluetooth to device)
- that device will now connect to a cloud storage (such as opencloud, AWS etc) using the login details provided
- once logged in it will sync the data between the local container and the cloud container. It would compare local with remote and sync so they both match eachother
- if you now login from a different device it will sync to the new device
Ideally this would all be encrypted per user so the cloud data itself is essentially useless without the user keys, hence it doesnt matter where the data is stored as long as the transport and sync process are secure and the end data encrypted. Noone else can access this or make use of the data..

simplified explanation

Shearwater is, as mentioned above, still working on the desktop cloud app which which sync with the cloud.. I hope they will make sure we can migrate from the old desktop app to the new one as well

I wish I could get my Perdix to sync with my phone. So unfortunately I have to resort to syncing with my computer.

Does dive data sync from computer to mobile app or is it in reverse only (mobile app to desktop)?
it will be bi-directional .. well, it should be.. as any device would sync with the cloud storage, not another device

Any news about Shearwater Cloud Desktop release date?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom