Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
DGX is listing the Perdix. It seems to be similar to the Petrel but a slightly smaller and more contoured case. It features longer battery life but will not have the Fischer plug for rebreathers.

Price appears to be the same. I was planning to get a Petrel but this version will suit my needs better.

[h=2]Differences of Petrel vs Perdix Dive Computers[/h]The Petrel was introduced in August 2012 and received a minor update as the Petrel2 in November 2014 to add the electronic compass. The Perdix, introduced in January 2016, while retaining identical software functionality represents a complete re-engineering of the case and electronics. Thus the Perdix incorporates some of the more recent advances in technologies coming out of the smartphone industry. Compared to the Petrel display, the Perdix display is noticeably more vivid with enhanced color range and saturation. The power requirements of the Perdix are also significantly improved compared to the Petrel, offering 30% longer battery life (some users of the SAFT lithium battery may see as much as 50% improvement.)
The Petrel case is machined, which limits some of the case design options when compared to the molded Perdix case. The Perdix case is lower profile with a more contoured shape that is form fitting to the wrist. The Perdix case also incorporates features to support both elastic straps and bungee wrist mounts. The Petrel LCD display itself is very slightly larger than on the Perdix, but this is evident only when they are held next to each other. The Petrel battery door incorporates a single o-ring seal, the Perdix has a double o-ring seal. The Petrel is depth rated to { 980 fsw | 300 msw} and the Perdix is depth rated to { 850 fsw | 260 msw }.
Is the Petrel2 being discontinued? No. The case design of the Petrel2 provides for an optional external cable connector and is better suited to integration as a rebreather controller handset. The Petrel2 design has been extensively qualified by rebreather OEMs and also written into the purchasing specifications of many governmental organizations. The Petrel2 will be with us for a long time to come.
Which computer should I choose, the Petrel2 or the Perdix? If you need support for monitoring an external oxygen sensor found on rebreathers, you should select thePetrel2 EXT. If you dive ultra deep, i.e. deeper than { 850 fsw | 260 msw }, you should select the Petrel2. In most other circumstances, we recommend the Perdix model dive computer.

so the petrel went on a diet and got a makeover? Very good call on Shearwater for staying up to date on technology, but glad they didn't redesign the software for it. That thing is going to be very slick! Glad to also see that the new technology isn't coming at a higher price point. Will help increase market share even more for them on the recreational side now that the form factor is even smaller

If you read the DGX info, it says something like "Released in 2016......"

wonder if someone messed up with the web page updates, and posted before they were supposed to....

I have one on order so we will see when it can be delivered.

Hahahaha Perdix. Clever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom