Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yikes, Jax!

You are comfortable with someone comparing SW's full-blown tech manual to another manufacturer's recreational manual? :shocked2:

TSK! You just made that up, and everything follows as if it were true. Stop that.

Now there is a compliment! No, the Petrel isn't and never was intended to be a recreational DC. Amazing thing is, they are so good at UI's that it becomes a half-valid consideration...

This brings up my impression of SW's rec mode. I don't believe that this was ever intended to be their entry into the rec market. I see it as the "Easy Button" for tech divers who just want to knock off a simple dive. It was meant to be a convenience, and it truly is. I use it.

Same thinking would apply to their rec model (if they ever design one). Add an "Easy Button" for rec divers, too. This time it would be more like:

"I have no clue as to what I'm doing, but if I set it to this, I can dive safely and come up with everybody else."

I offered ONE thing to ONE person's comment about the readability of a manual. I offered the manual link for drrich2 to read for himself and come to his own conclusion. Nothing more. Period.

TSK! You just made that up, and everything follows as if it were true. Stop that.
OK. No malice intended.

But I still see this from the perspective of an OW diver looking for a "good" DC. The Petrel is a tech DC and Shearwater makes no claims otherwise.

What else would a recreational diver compare it to?

I am really, really disappointed and dismayed at the path this thread is trending.

I'm hearing a bunch of control freaks saying that one mustn't recommend the best computer, with the best customer service, with the best potential to take the diver as far as s/he wants to go . . . because *someone* might chose to screw with settings s/he doesn't understand and go kill his or herself.

That's like saying, limit a new driver to a self-driving car because s/he might do something to kill kill his or herself.

. . . or limit a new skier to the bunny slope because because s/he might do something to kill kill his or herself.

. . . or limit a new bicyclist to flat, straight paths because s/he might do something to kill kill his or herself.

. . . or limit a new shooter to airsoft only because s/he might do something to kill kill his or herself.

. . . or limit rock climbers to rock-climbing walls and harnesses because s/he might do something to kill kill his or herself.

Get the picture? These people are adults and NONE of us have the right to say what they should or shouldn't do. We - and the manual - warns of screwing with things you don't understand. Leave people alone to get on with their lives and stop trying to live it for them.

OK. No malice intended.

But I still see this from the perspective of an OW diver looking for a "good" DC. The Petrel is a tech DC and Shearwater makes no claims otherwise.

What else would a recreational diver compare it to?

A recreational diver can compare it to anything s/he darned well pleases.

A recreational diver owes it to his or herself to educate his or herself and make responsible decisions.

Some people, no matter at what level they dive, like to have more data. Some people do not. Their choice.

Make the hazards known. That is the only duty of mentoring.

I am really, really disappointed and dismayed at the path this thread is trending.

I'm hearing a bunch of control freaks saying that one mustn't recommend the best computer, with the best customer service, with the best potential to take the diver as far as s/he wants to go . . . because *someone* might chose to screw with settings s/he doesn't understand and go kill his or herself. ...//...
Jax, please read my post more carefully.

There are NDL divers out there with more knowledge and savvy than many tech divers. I don't care to judge. You know I believe in freedom of choice and informed consent. I'm only trying to make one single point.

If Shearwater were to properly attend to a truly recreational DC, I believe that the outcome would be revolutionary. Why? Because a novice could pick it up, follow the manual with it in their hand, and "KNOW" it. Just like you did with your Petrel, just like I did.

And that is another point that hasn't been addressed. The Petrel is intuitive, the manual is there for completeness. I didn't feel as if I ever needed the manual. You soon get the feeling that one button is scroll and one is select.

No, I'm far from a control freak. I mostly don't care what others think or do unless it affects me. But I do like to help, if my attempt was misguided, so be it. Read and ignore.

Jax, please read my post more carefully.

There are NDL divers out there with more knowledge and savvy than many tech divers. I don't care to judge. You know I believe in freedom of choice and informed consent. I'm only trying to make one single point.

If Shearwater were to properly attend to a truly recreational DC, I believe that the outcome would be revolutionary. Why? Because a novice could pick it up, follow the manual with it in their hand, and "KNOW" it. Just like you did with your Petrel, just like I did.

And that is another point that hasn't been addressed. The Petrel is intuitive, the manual is there for completeness. I didn't feel as if I ever needed the manual. You soon get the feeling that one button is scroll and one is select.

No, I'm far from a control freak. I mostly don't care what others think or do unless it affects me. But I do like to help, if my attempt was misguided, so be it. Read and ignore.

Dude, sorry; this was not meant for you personally. You answered before I could post. It is a general post about the whole thread, and not about you. The "don't recommend this computer to newer divers" came up long before you were involved.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2016 at 06:37 AM ----------

Isn't that true of all human subjects in deco research? The goats were even younger.

Absolutely . . . well, at least what I have read.

Your manuals are fine, but are not a comprehensive lesson in decompression theory. How are divers supposed to choose the GF numbers?

For recreational divers, there is no need to choose the GF numbers. They choose their conservatism from Low, Med, and High. Technical divers will be defaulted to 30/70 which is well supported as a good setting for decompression diving. Again, there is no need to change this unless you believe you have knowledge of better settings.

There is no need to choose GF numbers.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom