Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm generally an experienced recreational diver with brief forays into light deco. I've even dived with Jax. I want the best dive computer I can get. I'd like the Perdix with AI, I'll take the Perdix without it. Many, many recreational computers have features and functions that most divers do not need, do not use, and/or could be dangerous. User beware

Its semantics but I don't see the need to label the Petrel, and now even more so the Perdix, as tech or recreational. They are simply fully functional dive computers. And as I said, I don't personally want Shearwater to enter the entry level dive computer field. I see it as a step backward.

I'm generally an experienced recreational diver with brief forays into light deco. I've even dived with Jax. I want the best dive computer I can get. I'd like the Perdix with AI, I'll take the Perdix without it. Many, many recreational computers have features and functions that most divers do not need, do not use, and/or could be dangerous. User beware

Better yet, User: Know your computer!

For recreational divers, there is no need to choose the GF numbers. They choose their conservatism from Low, Med, and High. Technical divers will be defaulted to 30/70 which is well supported as a good setting for decompression diving. Again, there is no need to change this unless you believe you have knowledge of better settings.

There is no need to choose GF numbers.

Bruce

The choice is between the three preset GF number pairs. How does a diver decide what low, medium and high mean? You give a small clue with regard to low vs PADI tables.

If they read SB about how dreadful brand X is because they will be back on the boat while everyone else is still having fun in the water and so choose the option which allows the longest NDLs without a proper understanding are they making a wise or informed choice?

My criticism is much more of the advice given on this forum than of your product. There are people posting on this thread like it is some nanny state intervention to suggest that promoting complicated things to people who do not yet have the context to understand it might not be in their best interests.

Deco is properly complicated. Novice divers are not in a position to make these choices without considered help.

The choice is between the three preset GF number pairs. How does a diver decide what low, medium and high mean? You give a small clue with regard to low vs PADI tables.

If they read SB about how dreadful brand X is because they will be back on the boat while everyone else is still having fun in the water and so choose the option which allows the longest NDLs without a proper understanding are they making a wise or informed choice?

My criticism is much more of the advice given on this forum than of your product. There are people posting on this thread like it is some nanny state intervention to suggest that promoting complicated things to people who do not yet have the context to understand it might not be in their best interests.

Deco is properly complicated. Novice divers are not in a position to make these choices without considered help.

Is there something wrong with the PADI RDP or the DSAT decompression algorithm for recreational, no-stop diving? Do you have safety data that is not available to the rest of us?

You are begging the question, a logic flaw.

If the person is a novice / newbie what have you, s/he will not be doing deco.

If the novice DOES decide to deco, it won't make the computer the problem!

So it comes back around to, someone way chose more or less conservatism . . . which is what most computers give you a choice to do, anyway.

Dude, sorry; this was not meant for you personally. You answered before I could post. It is a general post about the whole thread, and not about you. The "don't recommend this computer to newer divers" came up long before you were involved.

Actually there's only one poster (plus another one chimed in briefly) who keeps insisting that everybody else is a drooling idiot and shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer. As an IT professional I completely and wholeheartedly agree, except for the part where I get bunched together with the rest of everybody elses.

Code:
+-----------+
|  PLEASE   |
|  DO NOT   |
| FEED THE  |
|  TROLL    |
+-----------+
    |  |    
    |  |    
  .\|.||/..

Why would the entry to rec computer is a step backward for Shearwater? There are plenty tec divers, myself included, do not use dedicated tec computer for tec dive.
Some of the usual questions from new divers looking for a DC are cost and reliability. I could never suggest anything costing US$750.00 to them.

Why would the entry to rec computer is a step backward for Shearwater?

Only to those who are extraordinarily elitist; it makes no sense to me. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom