Shearwater computer help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chanly83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am about to buy my first computer and all my research is pointing to shearwater, so let’s stick to just this brand please.

I live in Wisconsin close to the Great Lakes so I will predominately be diving freshwater wearing a tri-lam dry suit. My LDS told me to stay clear of the Teric because of button access, so he recommended the Perdix AI. I do travel to tropical locations 2 or more times a year so the teric would be nice. But please if anyone knows any inside knowledge of shearwater coming out with something new or if someone has any recommendations one way or the other. I would like it for my trip to Cozumel at the end of January.
Thanks in advance.

Since purchasing my Teric I have done approximately 50 dives. Most of them have been with some type of gloves, neoprene or dry. I don’t have any problem pushing the buttons on the Teric with gloves. It’s not the least bit difficult to manipulate the buttons and access any necessary features with gloves in my opinion.

The Teric is nice for it's smaller size. It's bigger than a standard watch but it is still small for a dive computer with the capabilities that it has.

The real question is do you want a watch style or a larger size computer? Both are easy to read, easy to operate, and will do everything you need for almost any kind of diving you want to do.

I don't have a Teric, I have 3 Petrels, 2 NERDs and a Perdix. I'm sure if I were looking for another computer, I might consider a Teric.

I doubt seriously that Shearwater will come out with anything new any time soon. The Teric is still very new, and some folks are still getting used to the fact that Shearwater offers air integration!!

Just get the Perdix. The screen is nice and big compared with the Teric.

I dive the Great Lakes with my Perdix, complete with dry gloves.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have both and can take a picture of them together to judge the size comparison.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have both and can take a picture of them together to judge the size comparison.

From another thread:
i-5FF8LQX-L.jpg

Actually, not really that much different than a Perdix if you are using standard alkaline batteries as that is spec'd at 45 hours on medium brightness (AI Perdix is likely less). The Teric, which is AI, is spec'd at 50 hours in dive mode.

See below - it actually is better to my 55 year old eyes - similar text sizes and FAR better contrast (makes for much better readability when viewing off- axis)!

View attachment 466850
View attachment 466851

Other than the new form factor, what's the new tech you are concerned about versus the Perdix, Petral 2, etc.,?

Your choice of course, but I had no qualms about being an early adopter as I have no doubt that Shearwater would resolve any issues that might arise. I also have my Perdix AI - so have a backup, worst case.

Also, what new products has Shearwater ever launched required a year or two to debug? There have been no reports of Teric bugs that I've seen to date (still early, obviously) and I have not had any bugs with previous Shearwater computers - so the risk there is likely pretty damn small (imho)!

In other words, if you've got older eyes, get the Perdix for the larger display! :wink:

Well I am 35 and I don’t have the best vision but I don’t need any correction within a few feet so that’s not really the issue. My LDS instructor has been doing this for awhile so he prefers a console for the size, angle of viewing, ease of access to buttons on a dry suit with gloves (dry/thick neoprene), and also the bungee setup on the console for deep dive compression. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other, I have a nice TAG Aquaracer for the time so I am just looking for the “best” computer I can get that I won’t need to replace in the next few years. The only major difference I see are size/ shape, LED V.S. AMOLED, battery/ rechargeable, dive memory and I believe depth. What it boils down to is how many people on here that have a perdix feel the need or want to change to or add a Teric?

Well I am 35 and I don’t have the best vision but I don’t need any correction within a few feet so that’s not really the issue. My LDS instructor has been doing this for awhile so he prefers a console for the size, angle of viewing, ease of access to buttons on a dry suit with gloves (dry/thick neoprene), and also the bungee setup on the console for deep dive compression. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other, I have a nice TAG Aquaracer for the time so I am just looking for the “best” computer I can get that I won’t need to replace in the next few years. The only major difference I see are size/ shape, LED V.S. AMOLED, battery/ rechargeable, dive memory and I believe depth. What it boils down to is how many people on here that have a perdix feel the need or want to change to or add a Teric?

Your instructor's definition of console and mine are two totally different things. To me a console is the big bulky computer/gauge combo on a hose you see with many recreational divers (often dangling down and dragging on stuff). Not simply a larger tech computer that's wrist mounted.

Are you doing a twinset or sidemount? I've seen a Teric display with both transmitters showing for SM. It's crowded. Much easier to see that on Perdix (which I've done SM with).

Back
Top Bottom