Shearwater desktop on new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I purchased a new laptop, the screen on my old laptop died. Wondering what I need to do to get logged dives on the old laptop to the new one after installing Shearwater desktop?
Thanks for your help, Al

Hi, @ScubaAl . If you can still have access to your old laptop by connecting it to an external monitor you can open Shearwater Desktop and go to File>Backup Database...

Save the Shearwater.db database file to a USB drive.
Install Shearwater Desktop on the new laptop.
Insert the USB drive with the saved Shearwater.db file into the new laptop
On the new laptop open Shearwater Desktop and go to File>Restore/Overwrite Database...
Select the Shearwater.db file in your USB drive and your old dives should appear in your new computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply. Both the old and new laptops are at Best Buy having data transfer. Hopefully the shearwater.db file will be transferred to the new laptop.
If not I’ll hook up a monitor and see if that works. If that fails I’ll pull the hard drive and try accessing it.
Thanks again, Al

Thanks for the quick reply. Both the old and new laptops are at Best Buy having data transfer. Hopefully the shearwater.db file will be transferred to the new laptop.
If not I’ll hook up a monitor and see if that works. If that fails I’ll pull the hard drive and try accessing it.
Thanks again, Al
Hopefully BestBuy gets it done correctly for you. If not, and the external monitor does not work. have them hand you the Hard Drive out of the laptop. You can get an adapter for $10-$50 that converts your old drive to an external. Then just use it as a USB dive.

I was pleasantly surprise when I downloaded Shearwater Desktop to my new laptop, fired it up and low and behold my dives where all there. Lucky :)

What I do is periodically save the log files to a could drive service. I think I use Microsoft OneDrive, that way if this computer completely dies, I still have the files. :)

Out of curiosity, anyone using a DropBox account as their 'drive' to store the data file, so the software from multiple computers can share the same file, and hopefully update it?

Richard.

Out of curiosity, anyone using a DropBox account as their 'drive' to store the data file, so the software from multiple computers can share the same file, and hopefully update it?

Richard.
I use OneDrive to backup everything. Of Course, Sven's Software integrates into OneDrive, so I do not do anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom