Shearwater Dive Data - ideas for use? I will develop it for you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mafi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys.

Like many of you, I am absolutely in love with my Perdix. What is recently discovered is the option to export all dive datapoints in XML.

As I am a computer science graduate with an interest in web development, I was thinking about developing a web app using this data in some way - the evenings in Denmark are getting too long now.

The only idea I came up with so far (not offered by shearwater desktop) is to have an app where you can add notes to certain times during the dive and potentially share them with other users of the app with one click / have a discussion below the graph, etc.

Question 1: Would you be interested in such a web app? What other features you'd like?

Question 2: Do you have any other ideas about what you'd like to do with your Perdix/Petrel/Teric log, but never found it / develop it yourself?

I am looking forward to hearing your ideas!

Shoot Nick a message at MacDive. They have Shearwater support, but several of us find the lack of several things a little annoying.

Shoot the Subsurface guys a message too. I'm sure they'd appreciate having another person on their team to squash bugs and add features, even if they are not Shearwater specific.

Hi there,

I am trying to consolidate all of my dives into a singular dive log program with companion app. I have about 100 dives in a manual log and the remaining dives are captured in my Shearwater petrel computer. I can successfully download my dives from the Petrel to the Shearwater app, but I can't successfully add the previous dives nor can I successfully export these dives to Subsurface. Can you recommend how to sync the petrel with Subsurface or suggest another Shearwater compatible program?

Sarah

Hi there,

I am trying to consolidate all of my dives into a singular dive log program with companion app. I have about 100 dives in a manual log and the remaining dives are captured in my Shearwater petrel computer. I can successfully download my dives from the Petrel to the Shearwater app, but I can't successfully add the previous dives nor can I successfully export these dives to Subsurface. Can you recommend how to sync the petrel with Subsurface or suggest another Shearwater compatible program?

Sarah
If you're doing it on a PC, it should be easy. Download dives from Petrel to Shearwater desktop, then select the dives you want, export them to some folder (click File-export dive-CSV works for me), then open Subsurface, click CTRL+I and browse to that folder. Select the dives and click import.
To add previous dives in Subsurface, click on Log-add dive or CTRL+ +. Enter your data, press Apply changes and repeat until you are done. Subsurface will automatically sort your list by date. When you finish, select all dives and press CTRL+R. Enter starting number and all your dives will be renumbered accordingly.

Shoot Nick a message at MacDive. They have Shearwater support, but several of us find the lack of several things a little annoying.
I'm curious what you would like added. Nick has been very receptive to requests. I have Mac-Dive and Shearwater Petrels and the integration is pretty darn good. The data isn't quite as detailed as the Shearwater desktop, but if I want to see all three sensors, for example, I just look at the dive data in Shearwater Desktop. It would also be nice if the supply type, under the gasses portion of the log was recognized as a CCR dive or OC dive depending on the mode the Shearwater was set to. There is relatively recent change that now shows decompression obligations in the profile. That is a nice update. I REALLY like Mac-Dive. I recently dumped a bunch of dives into Subsurface and the interface is OK, and free, but I prefer Mac-Dive and use the desktop and the iOS versions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom