Shearwater lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And a little misleading - they apparently have had some battery issues on earlier builds that resulted in excessive drain.

It seems the battery (initial only) issue persists on some new/recent Terics (based from recent threads about it here).

But once it’s repaired .... it’s everything one wished for.

My wife and I did around 500 dives on each our two Shearwater Predator's between 2010 and 2019 when I finally sold them for 2/3 of what I bought them for new. Only service I needed was to get the side buttons replaced on one unit in the last year I had it. As far as I know those two computers are still going strong with new owners.

We now have 2 Petrel2-Ext units for rebreather diving and a Teric and Perdix for backups.

My 7 year old Predator is still working fine. A friend, an active instructor with many dives each year had to send his Predator, older than mine, in for service and they pretty much replaced all the internals for about $300.00 with a quick response time. I have now purchased a Perdix and use the Predator as a backup. I think you would be hard pressed to find many Shearwater users, if any, who switch brands when they get a new computer, they usually purchase another Shearwater for the upgraded features.

I’ve had multiple shearwaters including a Persuit, Predator, Petrel 1 and a Perdix AI and with the exception of the Predator, I use all of them. The persuit is currently a backup to my Petrel 1 but it is still used multiple times a year as a loaner and it’s still working fine.

I bought the Persuit and Petrel 1 used and both had heavy use before I got them. The only issues I’ve had was I sent the Persuit to get serviced because it was dropping cells but it turns out it was the cable not the computer itself.

My Perdix AI currently has a few hundred dives on it and it’s still working like the day I got it. A few scratches but that’s it.

And a little misleading - they apparently have had some battery issues on earlier builds that resulted in excessive drain. However, they have folks send them back for service where they basically replace almost everything but the shell - bringing them up to current production standard.

Not too many companies would support their products like this so I have 100% confidence in my Shearwaters. I’ve also had a Perdix AI since 2017 and it’s been flawless!
I don't disagree, many of the failures have been battery issues, however, my two failures were black screen and then loss of AI connection.

For participants in this thread, please vote in the Teric poll if you have not already done so, thanks Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

I have every confidence in my Perdix AI. After over 50 dives with the same Saft battery it is still going strong. It is a little bit clunky and large, but I am confident it is always ready to go when I am.

I have a predator_ext, a petrel 1ext, and a stand-alone petrel 1.

The predator is from 2009-ish. I got it used and got the screen replaced (the edges of the screw holes crack over a decade of use. Also a new battery tray (slight corrosion/pinched wires). I don't think I have don't anything else except replace batteries for 5+ years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom