Shearwater Perdix AI Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Lorenzoid,

As a general policy, we never pre-announce. There are several reasons for this.
  • We don't think it's a good idea to publish our plans to our competitors.
  • Often we work on things that are hard and sometimes we end up killing the project before it is completed.
  • We don't want to announce a replacement product until we are sure that it will work, and what the real ship date is likely to be.
  • In general, we don't like the current trend in dive computers of vaporware announcements to try to attack competitors that really have products.
When Lynn said that we had no plans to do AI, she was being completely honest. In fact, she was so sure we wouldn't do AI that she didn't even bother to give our standard reply that we don't pre-announce. We had looked at it and decided we weren't going to do AI. In this case we changed our minds last spring.

Are we working on something new now? Our answer is that we have 10 full-time engineers. We are always working on new stuff to delight our customers.

Bruce

It's not anything they "let" me do. It's something they said they had no plans doing(which was a potential outright lie), so that customers buy the vanilla version only to reveal the lie months later so drive up sales - screwing over all the customers who bought the perdix. And the most pathetic thing about it are the legions of mindless fanboys that don't see a single problem with this.

Your complaint in your previous message was......"then they let everyone buy a Perdix".

As I stated in a previous message in this thread; perhaps at the time they didn't have plans for it.

Its no different with any other electronic product line, new versions are constantly being introduced, at some point a consumer chooses to buy in.

When you do, then you have to realize that at some point after your purchase, the company is going to release something new.
How many iPhone versions are there now? Or andriod versions?
How about personal computers? new product releases occur ever six to eight months.

Petrel 1 buyers found out the same thing when the Petrel 2 was released after they bought in.

It happens with any consumer electronic product line.
It has nothing to do with people being a fanboi.
Its just the reality of buying any electronic item.

The age old dilemma: Buy now vs waiting for an eventual new product release.

Im surprised so many people seem so shocked that a company released a new electronic trinket right after they bought their current electronic trinket.

And people are angry that they didnt notify the market on a diving forum that they were coming out with a new model..... come on man!

Did Torii Station, or Camp Foster, or wherever you bought your Perdix from advise you not to buy it, and instead, wait for a new release?

Last edited:
So my post gets deleted, thankfully a few of y'all quoted my question. I think shearwater absolutely had plans in the making for an AI Perdix at the same time they told us they didn't. Then they let everyone buy the perdix, then release this 6-9 months later.
Choose new car, smartphone, whatever. How is this different?
Edited to add: Even if they did announce 6 months ago, there would still be pissed off people that bought non-Ai Perdix 6 months 1 day ago.

I bought a Petrel 2 just 3 days before the Perdix was announced. No big deal, it's still the best technical diving instrumentation on the market bar none.

As long as Shearwater keep innovating and focused on producing awesome technical diving computers, I'll have no gripes about pre-release dissemination.

AI should definitely improve their sales to a broader demographic of divers.

For those lusting after an upgrade, at least the quality, update programme and customer service quality of Shearwater will ensure a very healthy 2nd hand re-sale of their current model.

I bought a Petrel 2 just 3 days before the Perdix was announced. No big deal, it's still the best technical diving instrumentation on the market bar none.

As long as Shearwater keep innovating and focused on producing awesome technical diving computers, I'll have no gripes about pre-release dissemination.

AI should definitely improve their sales to a broader demographic of divers.

For those lusting after an upgrade, at least the quality, update programme and customer service quality of Shearwater will ensure a very healthy 2nd hand re-sale of their current model.

What!......no big deal?
Where is the thread you started, expressing you anger at Shearwater about it?

** disclaimer: To whom it may concern, I'm just joking around about it.
I realize its no laughing matter....... I'm still feeling the burn from buying a Suunto SK-7, only to realize they released the SK-8 later on.
Deep down I know they were working on that new '8' for awhile.

I'm confused.

Surely all these people who are bitching because they brought a Perdix pre AI don't actually care about I (otherwise they would have brought another computer) So why do they suddenly want AI?

I suspect its because they are fanboys who want the latest and greatest, and are miffed that someone has a more recent computer than them. Good grief. Grow up.It's only a dive computer after all.

Shearwater should release a 'Limited Edition' white model, just to further upset and entice the fanboy types.. :)

When they've upgraded to that... hit them with a $2000 carbon fibre version . . LOL

And limited edition Tec split fins...

We've ready got limited edition carbon fibre backplates . . . and soon (I believe) some snazzy carbon fibre 'Hogarthian/DIR' fins. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom