Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly do make a mental note of my start, ascent and end pressures. However, I see no point in relying on that for my dive log when there are simple options to automate that data logging available today.
No simple options in this thread. It would double the cost to the user. Perdix AI plus the transmitter vs a Peregrine.

I quite like AI for the logging. I had a Suunto with AI (AI came as a bundle, so a full trimix computer with AI was the price of a Peregrine alone) and I currently have a Perdix AI, but I am not at all inclined to spend £300 on a transmitter. Where I am today that would pay for 15 days of diving.

but I am not at all inclined to spend £300 on a transmitter
You should be able to get a transmitter for a lot less that £300 if you are happy with second hand

I have two that I bought second hand on eBay. One on its own for AU$205 (~£112) and the other with a computer (VT4) for AU$370 (£202). This was a few years ago and they are still going strong!

You should be able to get a transmitter for a lot less that £300 if you are happy with second hand

I have two that I bought second hand on eBay. One on its own for AU$205 (~£112) and the other with a computer (VT4) for AU$370 (£202). This was a few years ago and they are still going strong!
Maybe before they became fashionable... I just checked on eBay and there were only new ones. For a laugh I also looked for the cheapest Suunto that I could use with my existing transmitter and they are almost exactly the same price as a Shearwater transmitter, maybe cheaper once tax is paid.

Maybe before they became fashionable... I just checked on eBay and there were only new ones. For a laugh I also looked for the cheapest Suunto that I could use with my existing transmitter and they are almost exactly the same price as a Shearwater transmitter, maybe cheaper once tax is paid.
You may have to wait. Or buy one with a computer (which you can either keep or sell later). Set up a saved search.

I just did a search on the AU eBay and there's an Oceanic OC1 with transmitter for AU$399 (£219). I'm not suggesting you buy it but they do come up from time to time.

I think the disdain for the wireless charging certainly has to do more with the average age of scubaboard users than it does with the overall clientele.

It could be argued that some people review their actual needs and buy teh kit which suits those teh best, rather than just buying a specific item and making it work.

Prime example was my friend, a highly experience and technical diver, chose a new D6i. Simply because she was going to Mozambique for 6 months of diving and her prime requirements were a daily wear with a battery not needing frequent replacement or recharging because of the limitations of her destination (generator power, and frequent long outages) Her phone was out of power many times on that trip for days, she never lost a dive because her computer wasn't working.

Personally 80% of my diving is on overnight liveaboards, where horizontal space is limited, wireless charging has the very real possibility that the computer would be moved from teh charge position and I wouldn't know until next morning (with a low battery). Not ideal. Similarly I've have my replacement batteries fail because I stupidly left them in their original packaging which got damp and discharged them. My own fault for sure, and easily rectified, but it's this which for me leads me down the route of preferring a corded charge (unless I went to OTSC which offers the opportunity to wirelessly charge their AA battery or use a normal replaceable one - best of both)

My needs however aren't the same as others, if people are just day diving then it doesn't really matter.

ON SB people often forget that people dive differently and want or prefer different solutions that more readily meet their personal requirements.

You may have to wait. Or buy one with a computer (which you can either keep or sell later). Set up a saved search.

I just did a search on the AU eBay and there's an Oceanic OC1 with transmitter for AU$399 (£219). I'm not suggesting you buy it but they do come up from time to time.
Ah, nice suggestion. If I couldn’t remember my gas in and out and there was no log sheet maybe I would try that.

I don't actually know what killed that computer. Seemed like a decent option at the time. Could they just not follow through with production demand and overseas sales availability?
I suspect the fading OLED killed it. Same happened to Liquivision, but for Black you can still get the screen replaced (though it makes not much sense to do that every few years again and again).
I have the Black since 2015 and it's still my primary DC, but I really think about Peregrine as a new primary - so I am following this thread.
I am tech diver, diving usually with air + deco nitrox, not planning to start TXM diving, so Peregrine seems perfect for my needs.

I'd buy it now if it had a compass and I am at a loss: buy it now and enjoy or wait few months more and (MAYBE!) have a compass?

Personally 80% of my diving is on overnight liveaboards, where horizontal space is limited, wireless charging has the very real possibility that the computer would be moved from teh charge position and I wouldn't know until next morning (with a low battery). Not ideal.
I have a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC computer with wireless charging. I only ever need to charge it before the start of a trip and it will last easily a week of four or five dives a day. I would assume the Peregrine charge will last that long too. No need to charge except maybe once on whole trip.

/.../And now I need to bring my own duct tape and chicken wire to keep it all together?/.../

Not quite, you can always rent a boat with bigger horizontal space dedicated for you (my reply was on this issue) :)
I do think it's easier to put my DC on the charger than changing the battery, but YMMV.

Flooded Petrel
What happens if a battery compartment floods?

No simple options in this thread. It would double the cost to the user. Perdix AI plus the transmitter vs a Peregrine.
Sure there are, though you may have to still make a mental note of the start pressure. After the dive, just download from the Peregrine to Shearwater Cloud, then enter start and stop pressure. Since the diver will be reading from an analog gauge, the entries will be approximate anyway, and unless starting the dive with a used tank, the start pressures will probably be pretty consistent.

I agree with you on AI, though. Makes even mentally logging the start unnecessary. I’ve only ever owned AI computers. With the complete lack of problems I’ve experienced, I see no reason to change that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom