Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can't include the hardware to support those extra features and be expected to sell it at the same price for those who choose to keep them locked. Once the hardware is built in the price goes up.
I think the chips to include AI, and compass functionality is probably 10 bucks I’m sure this is a marketing ploy.

T
Overall, I like the concept. It's priced fairly reasonably. There are cheaper computers out there, but when you look at the features, most comparable computers are more expensive, most don't have a full color screen. It runs Buhlmann with different pre-loaded GFs. Not sure if it also offers a Custom option like the Perdix does in Rec mode. Manual wasn't exactly clear if Custom GF was available on the Peregrine.

See P. 39, under Conservatism. "A custom GF option is also available in every dive mode"

See P. 39, under Conservatism. "A custom GF option is also available in every dive mode"
Gotcha. Thanks. I was looking under the Decompression and Gradient factors section on page 25.

Having the ability to input a custom GF really sets it apart from the rest of the rec-focused dive computers out there.

They can't include the hardware to support those extra features and be expected to sell it at the same price for those who choose to keep them locked. Once the hardware is built in the price goes up.

Really? Maybe the AI hardware is a bit expensive, but I'm guessing that the compass hardware is much, much closer to $0.100 than it is to $100.

Building in all the hardware (regardless of the features that are available to the consumer) has the potential to reduce design/manufacturing/support costs, by having a single unit & larger manufacturing volume.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Peregrine has additional capabilities in hardware that aren't usable.

Who's got one already and wants to open it up and do a full parts tear-down, including grinding any epoxy potting off the ICs so that we can all look up part number to see if it's got a compass and radio for AI? :)

OK, this is cool. Their little square charger can be used for not only for the Peregrine, but also the (P)Teric, and my phone. I like that.

upload_2020-7-24_12-11-44.png

The Noid light is red when not charging something.

upload_2020-7-24_12-13-24.png

The noid light turns green while charging.
There's also a nice alert when it's done.

upload_2020-7-24_12-15-41.png

There's even an alert when you turn it on

upload_2020-7-24_12-19-24.png

Here's my (P)Teric on the charger.
I would show my phone, but that's what I'm taking pictures with.

- uses Perdix screen
- 30 hour battery life, wireless recharging
- 4 modes: air, nitrox, gauge, 3-gas (nitrox only, no trimix)
- vibration alarm
- bluetooth download
- $450

so what is the different from a petrel or newer computer ,,,,,other than the wireless charging and firmware that does not include tech mode?? I dont get it. It sounds like they are saying that the tech mode is a 4-500$ item in the computer.

Those of us that like user-replaceable AAs are going to eventually have to suck it up and just accept the inevitable.

I better buy another Perdix before they disappear altogether.

so what is the different from a petrel or newer computer ,,,,,other than the wireless charging and firmware that does not include tech mode?? I dont get it. It sounds like they are saying that the tech mode is a 4-500$ item in the computer.
Smaller for same screen. Prettier. Also cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom