Shearwater Reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostsheep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m trying to get an idea of shearwater’s reliability (All models). If I could somehow determine an actual Mean Time Between Failures I would be ecstatic but I’m not holding my breath on that.

So with that in mind I have 2 ~related questions:

1) Who has the most dives on their Shearwater without any failures?

2)Who has the least number of dives on their Shearwater when it failed?

For what it’s worth , I am a Shearwater fanboy, I dive a perdix and am adding another shortly for redundancy.

I have 159 dives on the Perdix, and so far 0 failures.
It is my primary computer, and I dive with also a depth gauge and a back up plan.

The transmitter instead, had failed me many times, and it is one of the reason why I'm not using it anymore.

Our Terics have been factory replaced twice (both wife and I). Once for battery expansion issues, and once for faulty depth/temperature sensors (both issues happened to both our Terics). Our initial Terics were really early models (purchased the week they went on sale). Both of our Perdix AIs just went back for faulty button mounts.

While they haven’t been flawless the support has been.

Our Terics have been factory replaced twice (both wife and I). Once for battery expansion issues, and once for faulty depth/temperature sensors (both issues happened to both our Terics). Our initial Terics were really early models (purchased the week they went on sale). Both of our Perdix AIs just went back for faulty button mounts.

While they haven’t been flawless the support has been.

Do you have an approximate dive count on these? Thanks

All dives are approximate.

Our Perdix AI had the button issue after 22 dives. Wife dropped her Perdix (short distance, nothing that should have caused a problem) and button clips shattered, DiveTronix recommended I send mine as well as a precaution. Both were found to have the faulty construction issue, mine was likely to fail but just hadn’t yet. Both are fixed on just waiting on delivery to show up.

First Teric issues manifested after 48 dives (battery failure), 16 dives later had the temp/depth sensor failure (mine failed in a pretty insidious manner, wife’s failed in an obvious manner).

My wife would probably have 1.5-2.5x the number of dives on each device before failure.

Current Teric has 38 uneventful dives.

I think that the Teric will skew things, I was going six months between battery replacements. Supposedly that is all fixed.

Definitely the model will affect this. I don't think the design and manufacturing of the Perdix is very similar to the Teric. I wouldn't expect them to have similar types or rates of failure.

Similarly I wouldn't expect an Apple Mac Mini and an Apple iPhone to have similar types and rates of failures. Not too many iMacs get accidentally dropped in the sink or toilet. :D

All dives are approximate.

Our Perdix AI had the button issue after 22 dives. Wife dropped her Perdix (short distance, nothing that should have caused a problem) and button clips shattered, DiveTronix recommended I send mine as well as a precaution. Both were found to have the faulty construction issue, mine was likely to fail but just hadn’t yet. Both are fixed on just waiting on delivery to show up.

First Teric issues manifested after 48 dives (battery failure), 16 dives later had the temp/depth sensor failure (mine failed in a pretty insidious manner, wife’s failed in an obvious manner).

My wife would probably have 1.5-2.5x the number of dives on each device before failure.

Current Teric has 38 uneventful dives.
Would you mind explain those temp/depth failures in details?
I'm curios to know...
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom