Shearwater Teric and Transmitter Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I understand; could you explain further or differently?

My 1st stage is almost exactly like this one. The HP port is on the left, facing slightly downward... So the transmitter has the potential to press on the tank.

107700-2.jpg

My 1st stage is almost exactly like this one. The HP port is on the left, facing slightly downward... So the transmitter has the potential to press on the tank.

View attachment 644237
Ahhh, you just saved 1000 words!
The yoke will not rotate once pressurized, so just position the yoke slightly off horizontal so the transmitter is NOT touching the tank, and turn the gas on. That slight off-horizontal should give the middle port a better angle for (presumably) your LPI hose, too.

Ahhh, you just saved 1000 words!
The yoke will not rotate once pressurized, so just position the yoke slightly off horizontal so the transmitter is NOT touching the tank, and turn the gas on. That slight off-horizontal should give the middle port a better angle for (presumably) your LPI hose, too.

Thanks!

I'm really glad to have SB as a resource. I love the splitter idea to give me two HP ports - I love being able to say I am still diving 31 years with the same regulator! 1990 Us Divers SE2!

I think the hose extension is pretty much a non issue. Either way damage to the transmitter is pretty unlikely. Personally, I went wireless to get rid of a hose.
PS: I will continue to search the web for examples of "bent transmitters". So far I have found a hearsay account from 2006.

I'm not sure what the majority of people do, but I've seen plenty of people doing it both ways. I started with the transmitter mounted directly, but found it pressed uncomfortably into the back of my head in certain positions. I put it on a hose and that solved the problem. I've only gotten to travel with it once--thanks, COVID--but I left it all assembled because it didn't occur to me to do otherwise.

I still have an analog SPG. My reg has 2 HP ports and I already had the SPG setup, so why not? I figure the extra hose is an extra failure point, but the value of the redundancy balances that out. Plus it makes my setup close enough to DIR that the GUE folks let me join in their reindeer games. And it's convenient to have that instant visual confirmation that yes, the boat did refill my tank, without having to turn my computer on. If I only had one HP port and would have to buy a whole new reg to keep the SPG, I'm not sure I would, though in your case it sounds like you have a use for the old ones at least.

Thanks, I think I am going to go with the splitter, and use the existing reg. The way I saw it, if the transmitter fails, I have abort dive because I would not know my tank pressure.

That being said, if my transmitter faailed and my wifes teric could read my tank pressure, I could hold her hand the rest of the dive like the 1st year she was learning lol

I like to be different....

I use an HP hose long enough to put th hose over my shoulder, and the transmitter through my chest D-ring. The transmitter is on a QD, and I can swap in a SPG if I get a failure with the transmitter, and it is readable there....

Three years that way, and not a problem...

YMMV.

I like to be different....

I use an HP hose long enough to put th hose over my shoulder, and the transmitter through my chest D-ring. The transmitter is on a QD, and I can swap in a SPG if I get a failure with the transmitter, and it is readable there....

Three years that way, and not a problem...

YMMV.
I do something similar. I modified a splitter to accommodate a spool and have a button gauge and the transmitter on my left shoulder strap.
Quick confirmation and no need to abort for an AI failure.

Thanks, I think I am going to go with the splitter, and use the existing reg. The way I saw it, if the transmitter fails, I have abort dive because I would not know my tank pressure.

That being said, if my transmitter faailed and my wifes teric could read my tank pressure, I could hold her hand the rest of the dive like the 1st year she was learning lol

Um -- if your transmitter fails, her receiver won't pick it up either. This theory only works if your receiver fails (in which case now you are also dependent on her depth gauge and timer.)

Hi guys,

So we stepped up into the new millennium and each got a Shearwater Teric and transmitter. I had a few general questions regarding install, travel, and use.

That is great that you both have one.
  1. Do the majority of people plug the transmitter directly into the hp port of their 1st stage? I feel like the transmitter and port will take a beating this way.
I use a 6" MiFlex hose on mine for several reasons. Prevent lifting by the AI/ It's not rigidly attached so an impact wont snap or bent it./Easier to remove if I want to put it on another regulator.
  1. Does anyone use a 6” hp hose to mount their transmitter?
Yes I do.
  1. When traveling, do you remove the transmitter from the 1st stage or do you carry the regulator on your carry on?
  1. Leave it attached.
    [*]Do you trust the transmitter to not fail or do you have a regulator with 2 HP ports and have an analog backup? Both of our regulators only have 1 HP port.
    Nope I do not trust it so I also have an analog SPG.
    [*]It appears that I can monitor my wife's air by setting up the T2 on the Teric. How far is the range? Curious if anyone else does this.
    They say the range is 1-2 meters. I did my own test and got 2 meters. You Mileage will vary with metal and other items blocking the signal. If both you and your Wife have Terics and Ai devices it would be crazy not to put each others AI devices into the T2 slot. Even if it does not work at a distance you can come right up to her and do a quick reading and Vice versa. It's a lot easier than asking to see her Teric or reaching for her SPG. The only reason why I would not do this is if it causesed any kind of flashing alarms if your out of range. I think you can put the T2 on a separate screen and rotate to it only when needed using the Info button. So I don't think you will see alarms on your screen.
We have 2 other divers in the family, so I can always use the 2 old regulators for them when they vacay with us, so all is not lost.

I was looking at the Cressi Compact MC9 – opinions?

Thanks for any feedback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom