Shearwater Teric and Transmitter Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um -- if your transmitter fails, her receiver won't pick it up either. This theory only works if your receiver fails (in which case now you are also dependent on her depth gauge and timer.)

Holy crap, you're right, Duhhhh blonde moment :D

That is great that you both have one.
I use a 6" MiFlex hose on mine for several reasons. Prevent lifting by the AI/ It's not rigidly attached so an impact wont snap or bent it./Easier to remove if I want to put it on another regulator.Yes I do.
  1. Leave it attached. Nope I do not trust it so I also have an analog SPG. They say the range is 1-2 meters. I did my own test and got 2 meters. You Mileage will vary with metal and other items blocking the signal. If both you and your Wife have Terics and Ai devices it would be crazy not to put each others AI devices into the T2 slot. Even if it does not work at a distance you can come right up to her and do a quick reading and Vice versa. It's a lot easier than asking to see her Teric or reaching for her SPG. The only reason why I would not do this is if it causesed any kind of flashing alarms if your out of range. I think you can put the T2 on a separate screen and rotate to it only when needed using the Info button. So I don't think you will see alarms on your screen.

Thanks man!!!

Hmm I am now wondering if there is a caveat I forgot about!
I am not sure if both of you can have grey transmitters. Normally you have to use a Yellow AI for a second unit to prevent interference. It begs the question how do these AI systems work when buddies are diving together and both have grey Shearwater AI systems, one would assume that they don't interfere. Maybe someone with some experience with that can give some feedback.

They transmit at a regular 5s interval, which only drifts slowly. The transmit time is quite short compared to the 5s interval, so if they start at different times the chances are small the transmissions will coincide. I carry two grey on side mount and just don't have a problem. On rec many of my buddies have them, and we don't interfere. It is a rare and non life-threatening problem.

1. Mounted directly. I would just educate the helper that is not for lifting. It is $450 transmitter that he will be responsible to replace it if it breaks.

2. No. Don’t want to add another point of failure.

3. No & no. I rolled the hoses, put it in a padded bag and straps the bag inside the BCD like how I strap the BCD on my body. Place them in my gear bag. I’ve been doing this for 16 years, traveling to many places all over the world without any problem.

4. I have 2 HP ports (Scubapro MK25/S600) for 16 years. I mount SPG with Miflex mini hose on the 2nd HP port.

5, No. I’m thinking of when the transmitter signals are out of range with flashing warnings, they would consume a lot of battery power. Even when you are done with your diving trip and want to store your Teric, you are suppose to turn off your T1 & T2.

The yellow transmitter is supposed to transmit at a different interval than the gray ne. Unless you turn two gray ones on at exactly the same time, they won't be transmitting at the same interval either.

Maybe not the right way to phrase it. She knows what she's doing. I guess my point in that was that I would never have to wonder or ask her how she was doing air wise. If I wondered how much air she had left, I'd know by looking at the T2 info.

From my experience in diving with women, they tend to have smaller lungs to tank ratio than men. She’s the one that would be checking on your tank pressure.

5, No. I’m thinking of when the transmitter signals are out of range with flashing warnings, they would consume a lot of battery power. Even when you are done with your diving trip and want to store your Teric, you are suppose to turn off your T1 & T2.

If the question had been should I buy my wife an AI unit so I can monitor her Tank with my Teric I would have said No. The fact that she already has one, makes it a no brainer as a tool to monitor each other easier. When I weigh the slight increase in battery consumption on the Teric's versus the Benefits it's seems clear what I would do.

From my experience in diving with women, they tend to have smaller lungs to tank ratio than men. She’s the one that would be checking on your tank pressure.

That was true when I was 198#, she killed me air wise (400-600). At 165#, I turned the tables and beat her almost every time by that amount on our last trip.

When I weigh the slight increase in battery consumption on the Teric's versus the Benefits it's seems clear what I would do.

I think for 2 dives, no issues. On a liveaboard with 4-5 dives a day, I would be charging it between dives. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom