• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yah, but think about reducing the size of the Perdix by a third. Reducing the current dead screen and bezel areas you could just about maintain display area. Only problem for me would be the lack of Saft AAA. Plenty of options in rechargeable Ni-MH, but I've never used Ni-MH in my Perdix so I don't know how they would stack up against the fantastic Saft.
Maybe make it smaller, better screen resolution, maybe make it roundish so it can be worn while traveling and even make it rechargeable so no one has to mess with opening anything up and risking a leak... you may have something here. :wink:

Is there lithium equivalent for AAA? Like AA -> saft.

There is a lithium rechargeable sized AAA battery, but I'm not aware of any 3.6v lithium primary battery that is AAA sized, at least as a standard product.

I thought one of the selling points of the Perdix over the Teric was being able to swap the battery vers not recharging it.

I think the Teric screen size (i.e. the screen protector size, really) is 42mm.

I had a Motorola Moto 360 smart watch. They came in 42mm or you could get a 46mm.

If they offered the Teric XL, with a 46mm screen size, and maybe a little bit bigger battery, I think that would be pretty awesome. I might even sell mine and ante up. Especially if they had an option to use the extra screen real estate to configure at least 1 more data field on the screen, so it could show just as much data in OC Tec or CC/BO mode as a Perdix can.

I think the Teric screen size (i.e. the screen protector size, really) is 42mm.

I had a Motorola Moto 360 smart watch. They came in 42mm or you could get a 46mm.

If they offered the Teric XL, with a 46mm screen size, and maybe a little bit bigger battery, I think that would be pretty awesome. I might even sell mine and ante up. Especially if they had an option to use the extra screen real estate to configure at least 1 more data field on the screen, so it could show just as much data in OC Tec or CC/BO mode as a Perdix can.
Or maybe make it rectangular with an easily sourced battery:wink:

Or maybe make it rectangular with an easily sourced battery:wink:

The problem I see is that there is no SAFT in AAA size. The SAFT is 3.7V, instead of the 1.5V of an alkaline. It's higher energy density and that's why it lasts so much longer than an alkaline in a Perdix.

Since there is not a AAA SAFT, that means that a pared-down Perdix that took a AAA battery would get a LOT less runtime than what you can get out of a full-size Perdix (with a SAFT). When battery changes become required that frequently, well, I'd rather have a rechargeable... I mean, it could require a new battery just as often as a Teric requires being charged.

Another issue is screen tech. Shearwater can get OLED screens for the Teric because they are watch-sized and the OLED screen manufacturer is making huge quantities for smart watches. They can't get Perdix-sized OLED screens. That's why they changed from OLED in the Predator to LCD in the Petrel. And why you basically can't get a flooded Predator fixed anymore. They can't get those screens anymore. They don't buy enough quantity for any of the screen makers to make them their own run of OLED screens for a Perdix format. At least, they can't get them, or the price would be unfeasible because the total quantity would be too low. With the Teric, they are piggy-backing off the demand from other industries to get a high quality, affordable display.

And the problem with a smaller Perdix that has a smaller battery, but still has an LCD screen, is that it's a battery hog to run the LCD versus what it takes to run the OLED on the Teric. So, they really just can't go TOO small with that battery or it won't have acceptable runtime.

So... how about a bigger, but thinner, Perdix, that uses an AMOLED screen that is also sourced for some popular smartphone? With a smartphone battery inside. You could have the form factor of an iPhone on your arm - slightly thicker, to accommodate some piezo buttons (that are smaller than the ones on the current Perdix). Plenty of info can be displayed, and the best readability ever in a dive computer. With wireless charging. :D

The problem I see is that there is no SAFT in AAA size. The SAFT is 3.7V, instead of the 1.5V of an alkaline. It's higher energy density and that's why it lasts so much longer than an alkaline in a Perdix.

Since there is not a AAA SAFT, that means that a pared-down Perdix that took a AAA battery would get a LOT less runtime than what you can get out of a full-size Perdix (with a SAFT). When battery changes become required that frequently, well, I'd rather have a rechargeable... I mean, it could require a new battery just as often as a Teric requires being charged.

Another issue is screen tech. Shearwater can get OLED screens for the Teric because they are watch-sized and the OLED screen manufacturer is making huge quantities for smart watches. They can't get Perdix-sized OLED screens. That's why they changed from OLED in the Predator to LCD in the Petrel. And why you basically can't get a flooded Predator fixed anymore. They can't get those screens anymore. They don't buy enough quantity for any of the screen makers to make them their own run of OLED screens for a Perdix format. At least, they can't get them, or the price would be unfeasible because the total quantity would be too low. With the Teric, they are piggy-backing off the demand from other industries to get a high quality, affordable display.

And the problem with a smaller Perdix that has a smaller battery, but still has an LCD screen, is that it's a battery hog to run the LCD versus what it takes to run the OLED on the Teric. So, they really just can't go TOO small with that battery or it won't have acceptable runtime.

So... how about a bigger, but thinner, Perdix, that uses an AMOLED screen that is also sourced for some popular smartphone? With a smartphone battery inside. You could have the form factor of an iPhone on your arm - slightly thicker, to accommodate some piezo buttons (that are smaller than the ones on the current Perdix). Plenty of info can be displayed, and the best readability ever in a dive computer. With wireless charging. :D
I’m pretty happy with the Teric as is any bigger and the perdix would be the choice.

Maybe make it smaller, better screen resolution, maybe make it roundish so it can be worn while traveling and even make it rechargeable so no one has to mess with opening anything up and risking a leak... you may have something here. :wink:

Yeah that's why they made the Teric lol

I thought one of the selling points of the Perdix over the Teric was being able to swap the battery vers not recharging it.

Also only having two large buttons to control the device instead of four like some many other dive computers. Easy to use underwater if you need to change settings. I don't wear a watch and I wanted the Perdix due to its clear screen, being able to setup the GF I want and have the display how I want. I around 150 dives a year normally except this year all my dive trips are cancelled.

I often do 30 - 50 dives on one vacation trip and several trips a year. I have two batteries that can be re charged as they came in a pair with the charger. One of them right now in my mouse for my desktop. So I may change the battery during my trip. Easy to do and the seals work great. Change when the device is dry and no issues. Also I like the curved shape of the bottom of the Perdix as I wear it on my right hand and the battery area on the outside of my arm. Remember you can flip the screen if you want to try different ways to wear the Perdix.

For me the real pleasure is simply having an easy to read screen in all conditions. With my other dive computers seeing the thing in low vis or needing the back light on night dives was fiddly.

Also being able to review you log and dive charts on screen after the dive is a nice feature.

Habagat Wreck.jpg

I find sometimes the teric is a pain to get to the buttons with my drysuit. I have a dui suit with zipseals and my wife has a santi with smart seals. I think the ring systems make it more of an issue than drysuits with no-replaceable seals

Yup, that's my issue with the Perdix... it sits "below" my ring. I need to push it well up my arm. The Petral is above the cuff ring. I can't see a Teric working but apparently some are using them successfully. I'd love one for south though. I generally just dive in a vest, and my Petral does kind of wobble around on my bare arm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom