• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trying to decide this last couple months and ended up with a Teric and will be ordering a strap from Original MN Strap
Basically a NATO made out of bungee. The battery in my opinion is a moot issue. Unless you decide to camp at one of the poles then it might be a issue but you can order a solar charger and battery pack with wireless charging.
Either way tho I don’t believe you can go wrong.

Thank you and i will keep that in my mind. Based on my finding there is a adapter to convert Teric's silicon strap into bungee strap. Also Nato Strap could be fitted into Teric too. However, i am just doubting whether the Teric bungee strap would be very reliable since it is hallow bungee. Some people also mentioned that the Nato strap is not comfortable.

View attachment 512294
View attachment 512295
url

The failure point for both options is the pin at the watch. I nearly lost my dive watch that way. Luckily, my rash guard was covering the watch.

I agree the pin is a potential failure point. But those pins are a lot beefier then the pins on my Tag Heuers and I have had those for quite a few years with zero failures. Also the chances of breaking 2 pins in the same dive is probably not likely. But as forest gump did say, “stuff happens.”

Thank you for for reply. However, there is another user pointed out the accuracy of the time on the Teric, i know it is not directly related to diving but if there is an inaccuracy then there might be more problems. Waiting to be be addressed by the manufacturer themselves.
My Teric time-keeping is within the spec. The good news is that an update of the Shearwater Cloud is coming that will reset the time to computer time when you synchronize. This is already available on the Perdix.

I agree the pin is a potential failure point. But those pins are a lot beefier then the pins on my Tag Heuers and I have had those for quite a few years with zero failures. Also the chances of breaking 2 pins in the same dive is probably not likely. But as forest gump did say, “stuff happens.”

In addition, based on my previous Dive computer, Suuunto D6i Novo Zulu, i must say that after years of usage the pin will become fatigue like metal fatigue in buildings. Also since a Nato strap is being used, it must be cleaned after every dives because the cloth will suck up the salty water which can further increase the corrosion rate.

Salt + Water + Air + Metal + high exposure time = Snap!

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new dive computer as the previous one lost. I am currently looking between 2 computers: Perdix and Teric.

Some consideration factors:

• Need to be a wise long term investment.
  • Rugged
  • Reliable - Not dying between dives (batteries)
  • Easy to fix
  • Focus mainly on warm-water diving.
  • Want to Go Pro in the near future ( Can't go right now, still underage)
Some personal backgrounds:
  • Seasonal diver
  • My previous dive computer was Suuuto D6i Novo so i am quite comfy with the small screen but when i look at Suuuto Zoop, it just blows my mind that the display is so large which in my mind would be very useful when going into wrecks, i love wreck diving.
  • I have done some researches and it seem like Perdix has always been regarded as one of the most recommended Tec and OC dive computer worldwide.
  • Single and sidemount setup.

Thank you very much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- How to crack this coconut? -------------------------------------------
What do you mean by "Easy to Fix"???

I'm not aware of any dive comptuers that a user can "fix" beyond simple battery and strap replacements?

I mean the probability of finding a shop that has knowledge of fixing it and replacement parts availability.
Shops can't really do anything with Shearwaters - they have to go back to either Shearwater (in Canada) or their authorized service centers (in other countries) for repair. In the US, that is DIVE-Tronix and they are a great outfit - dealt with them on the yellow transmitter recall/replacement and it was a great experience: awesome communication throughout the process and just nice folks!

EDIT - I see you are in the Pacific, so the service center appears to be in New Zealand:
Contact Us | Shearwater Research

Buy from an authorized dealer and you should be good to go for spare parts if you really needed any!
Shearwater Dive Computers Worldwide Dealer Locations

Yeah I guess they could snap... good thing they include extras.
I would be more concerned with the plastic buckles and snaps on most BCDs snapping before those pins did.

I have one of each. I'm very happy but if I only needed one it would be the Terics and if didn't already own a Perdix I would own to Terics. If the Teric had not been released when it did I would currently own two Perdix. There are good threads here where the advantages are clearly discussed so I won't bother to include the specific reasons here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom