• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by Darcimus, Sep 4, 2019.

1. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I own 5 Shearwater computers. But, I had 6 and I sold one a few months ago. That proves I don't have a problem, right? :D

laikabear, delacrue96 and Jay like this.
  2. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

Why yes it does.

stuartv likes this.
  3. applecorps

applecorps Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999

4. applecorps

I own a Teric and it works well . . . pretty much as advertised. BUT, it has a significant problem in that the charging cradle discharges the battery after being fully charged and while the Teric is left in the charging cradle with the green light blinking indicating it was finished charging. Anyone else have this experience? Their tech department claims a firmware fix is in the works but there is not any specific time that the next firmware update will be available.

5. GrafCanuck

GrafCanuck Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    +1 for any Shearwater. Personally the Perdix (or Petrel 2) for me. Great viz, all of the time. AA batteries. Simple to use. Rec diver here.

FreeFlyFreak likes this.
  6. formernuke

formernuke Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I try and avoid installed rechargeable batteries that have to be sent to factory for replacement. It's just me plus the fact that AA is the most common battery and can be found anywhere easily I vote and got a perdix.

scrane and blatter like this.
  7. Larryjd1

Larryjd1 Nassau Grouper

I havn't had that problem, but I did notice that my Teric would sometimes shift slightly in the cradle and break the charging connection, especially from the movement on a liveaboard, but it also happened on land in my house. My temporary solution was to put a rubber band around the watch and cradle while it charged.

When I contacted Shearwater, they wrote me that they were aware of the problem and recommended a wireless charger to purchase. I was a little surprised by that answer as it seems that maybe the cradle isn't designed as well as it should have been. Despite that, I still feel positive about Shearwater, it's products overall, and the Teric in particular. I have written multiple positive posts about the Teric as it has been everything I expected and more for both my technical and recreational diving.

I know you said your battery drained after being fully charged, but unless you saw that it was actually fully charged, maybe yours shifted slightly as well and never actually charged in the first place.

8. Skulmoski

Skulmoski Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Just returned from Cenote cavern diving and spoke to a few guides about this topic since I am on the Sidemount path with a Perdix AI in my gear purchase plans (soon to be 60 years old and I can remember watching Sea Hunt on TV). Sidemount and Perdix Ai is like tacos and Playa del Carmen; these technologies represent top tier, sidemount gear. This is my way of thinking justifying my gear acquisition syndrome.

9. applecorps

You wrote: "When I contacted Shearwater, they wrote me that they were aware of the problem and recommended a wireless charger to purchase." Please tell me which wireless charger Shearwater recommended. Thanks!

10. OceanEyes

OceanEyes PADI Pro

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Hi applecorps.

If you are the photo pro that I’m thinking of, we’ve met before on the big green boat in Jupiter, and you showed me around your studio. I don’t recall if Shearwater recommended the specific charger that I acquired, but I’ve been using a basic one under the Choetech brand for about a year now with no problem.