• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by Darcimus, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Bowers

Bowers Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    ^^^ this has been my biggest concern. I dove with a computer that had a watch style band and an extender when diving dry. At one point i was diving in florida and looked at my arm to find my computer was missing!! Fortunately i found it with a couple minutes of retracing my dive, but found that one of the pins had failed and that was enough for the whole computer to effortlessly sink to the bottom . For that reason a double bungee is a must in my opinion.

2. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The Teric pins seem quite robust.

lexvil likes this.
  3. Ben_3

Ben_3 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The original bracelet on the Teric seems pretty good quality, I would be surprised if a pin would break.

4. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

If you're going to carry a second strap with you, just so you can "add it" when you get to the dive site, why not just have a long strap and a short strap? Use the short strap when traveling to/from dive sites. Swap to the long strap (instead of adding a 2nd short strap) when you get there. You can change a NATO strap just as quickly as adding an extender.

I have a small neoprene pouch (sold as a sunglass case, I think) for each of my Terics. I keep a long and a short NATO strap in each pouch. One installed on the Teric and the other in there to swap to whenever needed.

FreeFlyFreak, Larryjd1 and davehicks like this.
  5. Larryjd1

Larryjd1 Angel Fish

Certainly a valid suggestion!

It's been a while now since I purchased the first strap, and I do remember looking at quite a number of different options. Can't remember if a longer one was unavailable for some reason or I just never came across it. @stuartv would you mind providing a link if you have it - I'm sure it might save others some time.

Either way you still end up buying two straps, but you would end up with one less buckle.

6. applecorps

applecorps Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I tried a Choetech charger and it is a worse solution since it did not stop charging once the the Teric battery was fully charged causing the battery to begin to overheat. Fortunately, the Teric sent out an "overheating" alarm and was not damaged after I quickly removed it. Still looking for Shearwater to update or replace all the cradle chargers so that they function as a "trickle charger" maintaining the battery at a minimum of 90% charge. They claim that they are working on it . . . but it's been many weeks since I heard that. In the meantime, this is a big disappointment in the Teric product.

drrich2 likes this.
  7. DavidFL

DavidFL Wide-eyed nube in the Pub ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I bought the bullbars; used them once; found the screen blockage to be sufficiently annoying that I haven't (and probably won't) use them again.

8. applecorps

I use the screen protectors . . buy them online under the Glass Pro+ Screen Protection. Good protection at a small price.

9. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm not sure of the magnitude of this battery % drop issue (whilst sitting charged on the charger). Apart from the semi-monitored day time charges, if others are charging it overnight for example, they'd barely see an effect (assuming they put it on a charger prior to sleeping, and didn't sleep like Snow white).

10. applecorps

Jay, maybe I used a different charger. Which specific model charger were you using?