Shearwater transmitter failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It had to be more than two. There were a small number of failures in California as well. I know personally, of, at least three, and was told of half dozen others . . .
Really? Those were all physical failure of the plastic Suunto transmitter cap (cracking, shattering, etc.) under pressure? Or some other issue unrelated to that recall?

Really? Those were all physical failure of the plastic Suunto transmitter cap (cracking, shattering, etc.) under pressure? Or some other issue unrelated to that recall?

They were all apparently physical failures; those, which I saw, were tiny, longitudinal hairline cracks, though no one was quite clear when any of it happened -- whether at depth, etc . . .

Just had a shearwater transmitter failure. It’s an interesting failure. The transmitter recognizes and sends a pressure in what could best be described as a binary function. No pressure is recognized, otherwise the transmitter sends a fluctuating pressure between 3000 and 3200 psi regardless of the actual pressure coming from the cylinder.

I’ve tried resetting the transmitter by pulling the battery during my surface interval with no luck.

I’ve contacted shearwater to see what the best way forward is and am waiting on a response.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this failure?

Here’s a photo:

Attachments

• 24F6DA96-4E89-4AA4-A477-F090411FE57B.jpeg
    24F6DA96-4E89-4AA4-A477-F090411FE57B.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 176
That's a Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter, FCC identifier MH8A. Also used by Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Aqua Lung, Sherwood and TUSA. I wonder how that problem manifests on the other computers? @scubadada Any ideas?

That's a Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter, FCC identifier MH8A. Also used by Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Aqua Lung, Sherwood and TUSA. I wonder how that problem manifests on the other computers? @scubadada Any ideas?
Hi Clammy,

I'm far from an expert on the topic. My family has 3 PPS transmitters. In 10 years I've had one failure, the transmitter quit sending any signal. I had the transmitter replaced with a new one from Oceanic for $120. I've not heard of a failure like the above. Assuming it was purchased from Shearwater, I would imagine they will repair or replace under warranty or offer a deal similar to Oceanic's if out of warranty.

@SISUAT let us know how this works out.

Just had a shearwater transmitter failure. It’s an interesting failure. The transmitter recognizes and sends a pressure in what could best be described as a binary function. No pressure is recognized, otherwise the transmitter sends a fluctuating pressure between 3000 and 3200 psi regardless of the actual pressure coming from the cylinder.

I’ve tried resetting the transmitter by pulling the battery during my surface interval with no luck.

I’ve contacted shearwater to see what the best way forward is and am waiting on a response.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this failure?

Here’s a photo:
Question for you. Just being curious here. Not going to solve your issue but might help other Shearwater transmitter owners. Been pondering this and maybe you can provide some answers.

1. How do you clean your regulator after diving?
2. Does your regulator have an ACD?
3. Do you keep your thumb over the connection when rinsing?

I ask these questions because.

1. If you by chance store the transmitter pressurized, I wonder if it has taken a set.
2. If rinsing and water got into your regulator and ultimately inside the transmitter, this could be the problem.

I typically watch my pressure when I turn off the tank and see the pressure drop to zero on my Perdix. I am curious to know the last time you dove with it and what your disconnect procedure is. It is odd that it is stuck at 3100psi.

Would like to see a picture of your transmitter especially around the base.

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn,

I’m super OCD about my gear. I clean my regulator by placing my apeks din cap on my first stage and submerging the reg set in fresh water. I then do a final rinse of the second stages under running fresh water. There’s no chance the transmitter is stored pressurized, as I watch my analog SPG go to zero prior to each disconnect. The apeks DST does not have an ACD.

The last time I dive the transmitter was in December, I’ve been diving doubles since then and this transmitter was on my singles setup.

I’ve attached the requested photo.

In other news, shearwater is sending out a replacement. So here’s to their continued awesome service. This is night and day from what I experienced with my xdeep Black....

Attachments

• CF11C885-F7D5-41F9-8F41-90F88E95015F.jpeg
    CF11C885-F7D5-41F9-8F41-90F88E95015F.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 148
Glenn,

I’m super OCD about my gear. I clean my regulator by placing my apeks din cap on my first stage and submerging the reg set in fresh water. I then do a final rinse of the second stages under running fresh water. There’s no chance the transmitter is stored pressurized, as I watch my analog SPG go to zero prior to each disconnect. The apeks DST does not have an ACD.

The last time I dive the transmitter was in December, I’ve been diving doubles since then and this transmitter was on my singles setup.

I’ve attached the requested photo.

In other news, shearwater is sending out a replacement. So here’s to their continued awesome service. This is night and day from what I experienced with my xdeep Black....
Thanks, your old transmitter looks to be in good condition. Glad Shearwater is taking care of you. I wish we could get feedback from Shearwater on what the issue is. I am very mechanical and I hate not knowing. Wish you well.

Glenn

Glenn,

Likewise. I’m going to ask for a report. Let’s see if I get anything back!

-J

Sometimes they just fail. I had mine fail while on a Red Sea LOB. It had been working perfectly for about 4 years, and to be smart, as figured that I would put a fresh battery in before my trip. Although everything was nice and tight, it failed before I even got in the water. Interior was perfectly dry. A local dive shop in Hurgada that services Pelagic transmitters hooked it to some diagnostic equipment and it was a hardware fail of some sort. I bought a new one for $100 US in Hurgada and when I got home to the US, sent the old one back for service. They sent me a new one for $120 and never told me what was wrong with the old one. Bottom line, stuff happens, and that emphasized to me the importance of bringing along redundant equipment. Now I always travel with a backup transmitter and DC as well, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom