Shearwater Transmitters Nitrox vs Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean it can do multiple xmitters but can't show 2 at one? I mean "buddy" tx is no different from independent doubles w/ own tx each, it's only a matter of showing both at the same time in UI.
Nope. I thought it could when I bought mine. Unfortunately it turns out they just have a colored LED on the tx its-self that gives you a low/medium/high indication and they have the opinion that it is good enough. Personally I hate the colored flasher. REALLY obnoxious in a cave. Have to put an opaque bag over it to dive.

Personally I hate the colored flasher. REALLY obnoxious in a cave. Have to put an opaque bag over it to dive.

:D Good thing they sell the bags too.

I think it's not a bad idea in open water vacation setup -- it certainly has better range than radio xmitter -- but I wonder if you can tell the colours apart once you go a little deeper and drift little further from your buddy,

Wait, so shearwater supports buddy tx feature? I've still got some crappy galileo computers for diving with my wife because they will do buddy tx simultaneously.
Technically yes, though not sure that’s what was intended. You can display two different transmitters at the same time if you wanted to. I don’t believe this is marketed as Buddy Check or anything. Instead it is for multiple tanks on the same diver. However, it could be done as long as the divers are close.

As I recall, Oceanic used to market some of their computers as having “Buddy Check”. They had to remove it, possibly due to an infringement claim. The VT4.0 had Buddy Check, but VT4.1 did not. That was the only change. I had a 4.1, but it came in a 4.0 box. You could still “pair” two transmitters, but you would have to switch during the dive.
I just looked up the perdix ai mainual. Looks pretty attractive and configurable.
Yes, it is. Lots of different ways to show your main screen, and very easy to cycle through additional info.

I think the Garmin transmitters are the only transmitter on the market that have enough range to realistically used to monitor someone else's gas.

Technically yes, though not sure that’s what was intended. You can display two different transmitters at the same time if you wanted to. I don’t believe this is marketed as Buddy Check or anything. Instead it is for multiple tanks on the same diver. However, it could be done as long as the divers are close.

As I recall, Oceanic used to market some of their computers as having “Buddy Check”. They had to remove it, possibly due to an infringement claim. The VT4.0 had Buddy Check, but VT4.1 did not. That was the only change. I had a 4.1, but it came in a 4.0 box. You could still “pair” two transmitters, but you would have to switch during the dive.
Yes, it is. Lots of different ways to show your main screen, and very easy to cycle through additional info.
Seems like that could be a problem for gas calculations. That's the only significant difference I can think of.

I think the Garmin transmitters are the only transmitter on the market that have enough range to realistically used to monitor someone else's gas.
The scubapro transmitters work fine for that purpose as well. Other stuff, not so great imo.

Seems like that could be a problem for gas calculations. That's the only significant difference I can think of.

Not if they're both the same mix, just a PITA to do gas switch to check on your buddy and then back again.

Not if they're both the same mix, just a PITA to do gas switch to check on your buddy and then back again.
You can definitely have both transmitters displayed simultaneously now. I looked in the manual. I'm just not sure if one can be excluded from GTR/ATR calculation.

Edit: I looked again. You can! Man, shearwater is just a company that adds features people ask for!

Check out this man page:

upload_2021-3-29_15-26-45.png

You can definitely have both transmitters displayed simultaneously now. I looked in the manual. I'm just not sure if one can be excluded from GTR/ATR calculation.

Edit: I looked again. You can! Man, shearwater is just a company that adds features people ask for!

Check out this man page:

View attachment 650616
GTR only operates from one selected transmitter, even if it is listening to and displaying two. (Perdix AI manual, section "GTR Mode".) (Look around the board for various complaints that you can't switch tanks during the dive and use GTR.)

Back
Top Bottom