Shell collectors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very nice shells ...thanks for posting and sharing.

Some call them "rollers". Guess because they don't yet have the big lip to stop them from rolling. I've got a few of those of varying sizes, but never found one live--and most without hermit crabs as well. Maybe they roll too fast?
I found 4 Giant Tuns shore diving in Destin, FL. All were empty and maybe only 2". They do get to about 6" I think and are one of the few shells I know of found worldwide.

When I was young I would collect shells when I was on the beach, although I stopped at an early age (not many pretty ones). the only shells I own now are small ones that form a lei that I received on a trip to Fiji in high school as part of an ambassador program...even then I had a few qualms about it :/

On a shore dive in Hawaii, I spotted a unique shape sitting on a patch of sand (down around 60 ft. IIRC). It had a layer of stuff on it and was dull in appearance. I looked at it carefully prior to picking it up and found that it was an abandoned shell of a Hawaiian Snakehead Cowry. It cleaned up nicely.
HSCR.jpg

Nice. The only Pacific cowries I have are small ones found on the beach in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico. I have yet to dive in the Pacific.

Most of what I have collected is a few hundred million years old, plus or minus a few Geologic ages. I really do not care what busy bodies in California think of my collecting. N

Back
Top Bottom