Sheridan buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris.evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today we went out to the Sheridan, used the numbers in Ned Deloach's book, there was no buoy out there, we drove around using Garmin sonar for 20 mins, then decided to drop in on what was a metal girder and 3 tires. We should have seen something coming up 35-40 feet from the bottom on sonar, but saw nothing. It's also way too cold out there for a 5mm. :) Vis was pretty nice.

Just looking more online, the new pinellas county page says there's no longer any maintained buoy out there? http://www.pinellascounty.org/reef/pdf/pinellas2.pdf

All the info I have seen, including the Sheridan laminated dive card at local dive shops says there's a large yellow Pinellas buoy out there.

I haven't been out to the Sheridan for a few years, but as far as I know it has a nice sized yellow buoy near by. The buoy is not on the Sheridan. You are correct that there should have been a 35-40 ft something on the sonar.

I usually find as many GPS coordinates as possible from various sources for a wreck before going out to it. I have been able to find almost any wreck that way.

Just an FYI... I have Ned Deloach's book too and many of the GPS coordinates are junk. His descriptions are good. I have also had bad luck with Florida Sportsman Maps. The Pinellas Country site you listed in your post should have accurate info.

Daniel

The buoy has been gone for like a year, they have fixed it before (because they break off all the time) but not with any urgency.

Right off the Sheridan is the blackthorn, another big boat but on its side and pretty beat down, and a big ass barge that can have some stuff to look at with a small ledge just west of it.

Defiantly make another trip out, worth the effort.

Bow 2752.580 8311.150
Stern 2752.580 8311.133

Drop the hook on these and you cant miss.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom