• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sherwood Avid BC Tank Strap Brackets Failed

Discussion in 'Manufacturers Recall Notices' started by DestinyAnna, Mar 27, 2018.

1. DestinyAnna

DestinyAnna Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Anyone else experienced BOTH of their Avid bc tank strap 'brackets' (hard plastic composition material) making a clean and sudden break from the back of vest? Both of mine broke this weekend as I was entering water for a shore dive. Tank swung to side pulling 2nd stage from my mouth. I was on surface thankfully but the strap breaks are a serious issue. Looks as though the material failed. I only have 178 dives on this bc. I believe its a 2012 or thereabouts model.

Attached Files:

2. bobfmdc

bobfmdc Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    This is apparently a frequent problem with Sherwood's BCDs. I bought a used one last fall in a group of dive gear, knowing it was broken and planning to use it for parts. I did some research on ScubaBoard and found several threads mentioning the problem. I tried to contact Sherwood and no one would return my calls or emails. I finally gave the BCD to a small dive business owner and he got a response--"eat your loss and use it for parts."

It is a bad design and I am amazed that people have not reported it to the feds to try to get a recall.

3. csky217

csky217 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My Sherwood Avid purchased in 2011 had a similar problem after about 4 years - one band suddenly came free during a dive. However, it wasn't both at once. My LDS noted that this was an ongoing problem though possibly fixed in newer models.

I loved my old Avid but won't buy another one.

4. drrich2

drrich2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Undercurrent had a couple of articles on Sherwood BCDs;

Sherwood, You Have a Camband Problem (Sept. 2016 issue). From that article "Bill Watts (Coconut Creek, FL) wrote to us to say that he believed his Sherwood Avid BCD has a safety issue that the manufacturer is ignoring. The plastic holding the retaining straps for his tank broke, and since the camband apparently does not actually run through the fabric of the BCD, the tank was released. When the plastic breaks, there is nothing to hold the camband to the BCD."

Sherwood is Shirking It's Responsibility for Diver Safety (Sept. 2017 issue). From that article - "If you recall, Undercurrent(September 2016) reported how there were multiple instances of the plastic camband mounting points separating from the main BC, and with it, the user's tank."

Richard.

5. macado

macado PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    This also happened my Sherwood Avid BCD that I used in the pool. What a waste. I ended up tossing it in the trash. They should have issued a recall.

I did end up epoxying the plastic back together and it held for another month or so before it failed completely again. (So it really wasn't worth the effort..) I used JB Weld if you wanted to try it but my results weren't great.