• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sherwood Avid BC Tank Strap Brackets Failed

Discussion in 'Manufacturers Recall Notices' started by DestinyAnna, Mar 27, 2018.

1. bobfmdc

bobfmdc Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I hope you have, on consideration, absolved TSA of any responsibility in breaking your BCD. If they could do something to cause what happened, then it was gonna happen anyway.

Sherwood's reaction to this is to not respond, although your LDS might have some luck if it is fairly new and they sold it to you.

So how old is it? One of my buddies has been diving with his maybe 4 years. I would like to give him a heads up on how long it will be before he has a similar experience.

2. iamrushman

iamrushman Great White

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm in the same boycott sherwood group for the same reasons....i switched to the bp/w with single tank adapter with much more confidence when diving.

3. DestinyAnna

DestinyAnna Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Did Sherwood ever do anything about this serious safety issue? Anyone know?

4. iamrushman

iamrushman Great White

don't know....i think they redesigned the tank bands but they are still similar to the old ones... haven't used Sherwood products in years.

5. divad

divad Solo Diver

This all sounds too bad to be true.................**** Sherwood!

iamrushman likes this.
  6. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I happened to be on the phone with the Sherwood US service manager, and I brought up the Avid issue that crops up here from time to time.
    He said that yes there was a vendor supplying problematic materials for the Avid from Sherwood, (and also some other models from other brands) at one time. He thinks it was about 5-6 years ago that the vendor was replaced, so it sounds like current product is okay.

It also sounds like he has accommodated several customers on this problem in the past in some way. So I would suggest trying to work through your LDS to see what they/will do, or PM me and I will send you his email address. If it is a well worn item with a thousand dives bought on eBay, don't expect anything. But if it is in virtually new condition but just an old item, you may be pleasantly surprised. Yes, that leaves a very wide spectrum between those two descriptions of condition, to which I can only say "it doesn't hurt to ask."

7. iamrushman

iamrushman Great White

Thanks for the info but i hope the newer clients can get redemption from this information...All i have left now is the D- Rings i cannibalized from my Sherwood Avid BC...

8. Fastmarc

Fastmarc Just drifting along... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hmm, I wonder if the Avid I bought in September 2016 is one of the bad ones?

9. Jonny Wishbone

Jonny Wishbone Barracuda

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Avid BC / Broken strap holder (lower)
    Don’t know if I linked this correctly but if not you can search it by the first line. This issue is all to do with outsourcing for max profit.

10. Damselfish

Damselfish Solo Diver

My husband bought one of these about a year ago, then learned of the issue before diving it. The local distributor said the problem had been fixed but was fortunately willing to take it back, if a bit grumpily. He was never going to be comfortable diving it. Even if the material was improved, it just looks like a horrible design.

iamrushman likes this.