sherwood regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack draper

Reaction score
My sherwood blizzard regulator does not shut off,and constantly releases air when not in use. ( at the surface). Any cures?

Jack, where is the air coming from? If it's a constant little bit coming from a port/plug on the 1st stage, don't worry... it's supposed to do that.

Sherwoods use a patented positive pressure bleed from the 1st stage that effectively makes them environmentally sealed.

I have had my sherwood blizzard for about 9 years and a number of people have approached me, both above & below the water, trying to tell me that my reg is leaking. I thank them for their concern, then explain...

Hope this helps,

~SubMariner~

thanks for the info. It is the second stage that is leaking, any suggestions?

Hmm... could be anything from a leaky diaphram in the 2nd stage to a worn seat in the 1st stage Jack.

Sounds like a trip to the tech would not be amiss....

~SubMariner~

I would normally direct you to mention your problem to "rainreg" who is the founder of DETA, The Diving Equipment Technicians Association but unfortunately due to a medical situation he will be away from these forum for about another week. I am sure as soon as he is back up and around he will be happy to give you a world of information, especially on regulators.

=-)

Unfortunately, freeflowing from the second stage can be either a problem in the first stage or the second stage itself.

The second stage of your regulator is nothing more than a small rubber disk that is held against a cone shaped seat by spring pressure. You could have dirt, silt, salt etc. lodged between the seat and rubber. Or, the rubber could be shot. Additionally, the spring could be corroded and has lost a bit of it's holding power.

If none of those is the culprit, then the first stage is putting out more air than the second stage can hold back with it's spring pressure. Inside your first stage is another seat and disk setup only the disk is a harder plastic. Again, dirt, silt, corrosion or disk wear can be the culprit here.

In either case, your regulator needs to be disassembled, cleaned thoroghly and have the seats/disks inspected.

Time to drop it off at the dive shop!

Just my $.02

Ray

Hi Jack. As the long-time owner of 9 Sherwood regs I would be willing to bet that your second stage merely needs a slight adjustment. Over time, the second stage inlet valve seat, (poppet), begins to "take a set", that is a permanent indentation begins to form in the soft neoprene rubber seat. This is no big deal and happens in about 90% of the regs out there. If I'm right, a slight tightening of the poppet or replacement will do the trick. No big deal. By the way, storage is actually harder on these seats than actual use! You can fabricate a purge depressor, that keeps the purge ever-so-slightly depressed during storage, and your second stage inlet seat will last a very long time! (Sherwood first stages seldom give any kind of problem. I have one with nearly 400 dives on it - with NO attention whatsoever!)
Norm

Originally posted by rcontrera
Unfortunately, freeflowing from the second stage can be either a problem in the first stage or the second stage itself.

The second stage of your regulator is nothing more than a small rubber disk that is held against a cone shaped seat by spring pressure. You could have dirt, silt, salt etc. lodged between the seat and rubber. Or, the rubber could be shot. Additionally, the spring could be corroded and has lost a bit of it's holding power.

If none of those is the culprit, then the first stage is putting out more air than the second stage can hold back with it's spring pressure. Inside your first stage is another seat and disk setup only the disk is a harder plastic. Again, dirt, silt, corrosion or disk wear can be the culprit here.

In either case, your regulator needs to be disassembled, cleaned thoroghly and have the seats/disks inspected.

Time to drop it off at the dive shop!

Just my $.02

Ray
Exactly right. My Blizzard was being a bit contrary before we left for Mexico. My dive shop guy had it right in no time and it worked perfectly. Wish I could say the same for my Octo which decided to spring a leak in a cavern and I ended up breathing from it so as not to waste the air. But my Blizzard sat dutifully in my pocket with nary a bubble left behind in the Taj Mahal. 8)

Not to sound like a flame but when did you last have it serviced? Is it due for its yearly? If it is due, the tech should be able to have that fixed with parts out of the service kit. Just to make sure you should mention it when you take it in.
DSAO
o2diver

Back
Top Bottom