shi shi cocktail party food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very easy and elegant mushroom fritatta bites

1 Doz eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups sauteed mixed mushrooms (get the exotic kind and sautee them in butter till soft).

Mix eggs, 'shrooms, and heavy cream together, place in large skillet (nonstick is best), put on stove and cook until the eggs set on the bottom.
Place in hot oven (not too close to the top, as it poofs up quite a bit!) and bake at 400 till the top is set. (a few minutes).

Remove from oven and let cool. Turn fritatta out and cut into hors d'oevure-sized squares. Place sour cream or creme fraiche in ziplock baggie, snip off eensy piece of the corner so you have a little pastry bag. Pipe a blob of the sour cream on top of each square. Top the sour cream with a little blob of black lumpfish caviar.

They're yummy!

I don't know if this is too 70s for you and hear me out before you think "and germs?"
I've had tremendous success with a chocolate fondue at my stand-up cocktail parties. The people on red wines are particularly fond of this. It's also very easy to make it elegant-looking. A smaller fondue pot with good chocolate (Ghiradelli bars is what I used, mixed bitter- and semi- sweet with a dab of liquor as directed), some strawberries on one plate, and cut-up pound cake on another. Bananas require too much attention (they'll get ugly and need replacing if cut too early, will never be used if left out for serve-yourself). I suppose you could use marshmellows but that's rather pedestrian when you're going for chi-chi. Get lots of small, cheap cocktail forks and there you are.

chepar:
LOL!!! That's EXACTLY what I thought of when I read the thread title. I thought "What kind of cocktail is THAT?!?" :11: That's a common everyday phrase here, too.

Me three! lol

chepar:
LOL!!! That's EXACTLY what I thought of when I read the thread title. I thought "What kind of cocktail is THAT?!?" :11: That's a common everyday phrase here, too.

I think the term "go shi shi" that small children in HI use is the result of pass down from the early Japanese immigrants to the islands.

cowprintrabbit,

You can always try "spam musubi".

Here is a recipe.

5 cups cooked sushi rice, room temperature
5 sheets nori, cut in half lengthwise
1 (12 oz.) can Spam
6 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
4 tbsp sugar
Furikake, to taste

Cut Spam into 10 slices. Fry until slightly crispy. Remove and drain on plate lined with paper towels. In another pan, combine soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low. Add Spam slices, coating them in the mixture. When mixture has thickened, remove Spam from pan.
Lay a sheet of nori lengthwise on a clean surface. Moisten lower half of musubi maker (see Note), and place on lower third of nori. Fill musubi maker with rice and press flat until the rice is 3/4-inch high. Sprinkle rice with furikake. Top with slice of Spam. Remove musubi maker and keep in a bowl of warm water to keep it clean and moist.

Starting at the end towards you, fold nori over Spam and rice stack, and keep rolling until completely wrapped in the nori. Slightly dampen the end of the nori to seal it. Repeat with the other nine Spam slices, making sure to rinse off musubi maker after each use to prevent it from getting too sticky.

This really isn't as much work as it sounds like once you've done it once.

rickg

rickg:
cowprintrabbit,

I wouldn't describe them as "shi shi" cocktail food if any of your attendees is from Japan because that is the term that small children use to say they have to go #1 :)

Good luck with the party.

Rickg

Thanks, everyone :11: Our circle of friends tend to use "shi shi" as a more pretentious form of "chi chi" but now that I know what it means, I think I will stop! "Fou fou" doesn't mean anything bad, does it? That's what we call fancy cocktails (apple-tini, mango daquiri, chambord margarita, lemon drop, etc).

I will be trying your ideas between now and the party. Keep 'em coming, they're great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple more-

Get those really large Globe grapes, slice off the top 1/3. Take a small melon baller and scoop out a portion of the insides of the bottom half and stuff with Chevre (goat) cheese.

thin Pumpernickel bread slices topped with gravlax and a mustard/dill sauce.

Check out epicurious.com's recipe index. search under "appetizers" or "hors d'oeuvre" - there's a ton. One of my favorite recipes that I got from there is the Scallop Puffs. Basically it's a scallop filling (w/ mayo, grated Gruyere cheese, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and egg whites) that I put in store bought phyllo dough cups (I substituted this for the bread squares the recipe calls for) and broiled in the oven. The egg whites "puff" a little and brown on top. It is really good.

cowprintrabbit:
Thanks, everyone :11: Our circle of friends tend to use "shi shi" as a more pretentious form of "chi chi" but now that I know what it means, I think I will stop! "Fou fou" doesn't mean anything bad, does it? That's what we call fancy cocktails (apple-tini, mango daquiri, chambord margarita, lemon drop, etc).

I will be trying your ideas between now and the party. Keep 'em coming, they're great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain oysters...that'll impress em.

More -
Shrimp - jumbo, server around the lip of a martini glass w/ cocktail sauce in the bottom of the glass, splashed w/ vodka.
Filet bites - small slices of grilled medium rare filet mignon on toasted slices of french bread. Top w/ a dallop of horseradish sauce & a piece of parsley or mint or tomato.
Cajun scallops - scallops dredged in canjun spices (McCormicks makes a cajun spice that works fine) & pan seared.
Cheese tray - usually about 3 cheeses - Maytag blue, brie & smoked gouda, grapes, strawberries, sour cream & caviar w/ an assortment of flatbreads, sliced baguettes, water crackers.
Baked gouda - bring a small gouda cheese round to room temp. Roll out, on a greased baking sheet 1 can crescent roll dough. Do not separate the rolls & pinch the seams closed. Place the gouda in the center, wrap around cheese. Bake according to the package the rolls came in.

Are you doing all the work yourself? I've found enlisting the assistance of a couple teenage kids (hire the neighbors or co-workers kids) really enables me to enjoy my own parties. I use the kids to cook, serve, wash up. They show up an hr before showtime & work for about 4-5 hrs. I pay them $10 an hr & they tell me it's the easiest money they've ever made & they have a good time. Of course no alcoholic beverages for the under 21 crowd.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom