Shingles vaccine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For the subset of GODs age 60 and over, the CDC now recommends that all of us get vaccinated for shingles. CDC Press Release - May 15, 2008

I got mine recently. Cost a little over $200. Here in Socal I found the best prices at supermarket pharmacies. I had no noticable side effects.

I have only second-hand experience (mother in law) but I've heard shingles is really unpleasant and debilitating, and the vaccine is supposed to be 50% or more effective. That's a good cost/benefit IMO. I was also told the recommended age may be lowered in future.

I did a search on Scubaboard and found mention of shingles and agreements about what a PITA it is, but no mention of the vaccine. So ... check it out.

yup, I had shingles years ago while pregnant at age 32. It was horrible as I couldn't take any pain killers for it. It lasted about a month. A gentleman I know here in town (age 70+) got it last year and ended up incapacitated for over 2 months, unable to do much, and in hospital for part of that. He was very very sick. :shakehead:
That was the first time I had heard of a new vaccine for it.

Wow?! What a list of possible vaccines: Vaccines: VPD-VAC/VPD menu page I think I can skip some of those...

I just had a chat with my county health, where I prefer to get vaccines
  • Hepatitis A: Did it, good for life.
  • Hepatitis B: Did it, good for life.
  • Influenza (Flu): Every November
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella: They're not recommending or suppling?
  • Pneumococcal: Every 10 years: $40
  • Shingles (Herpes Zoster) over 60: $20 if you don't have insurance that would pay for it vs $280 at a supermarket here
  • Tetanus (Lockjaw): Every 7-10 years
To skip, for me anyway...
Anthrax, Cervical Cancer, Diphtheria, Human Papillomavirus (HPV), Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), Japanese Encephalitis (JE). Lyme Disease, Meningococcal, Monkeypox, Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Poliomyelitis (Polio), Rabies, Rotavirus, Smallpox, Tuberculosis, Typhoid Fever, Varicella (Chickenpox), Yellow Fever

DandyDon,
if I remember right, they don't recommend the MMR for people over a certain age because if you were born before 1957 you are assumed to either have had those diseases or at least to have been exposed to them, and likely immune.
I was born in 1957, so the University made me get it anyway, or spend big bucks on a titer to prove immunity. The vaccine was cheaper!

Ok, that makes sense. I remember the mumps at least. I thot I'd read something recently about seniors and MMR, but maybe not. Still trying to embrace that title: senior. I've been using it for discounts for some time, but not for health care. :D

Back
Top Bottom