Shipping gear to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JUSTIN44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone shipped their SCUBA gear from the states directly to their hotel in Cozumel?
I am worried about the airlines losing our luggage and I'd rather be safe an FedEx or UPS me and my GF's gear. anyone have advice?
thanks

Shipping to/from Mexico by courier is expensive. You could also find your stuff stuck in customs. If it's just snorkel gear you're worried about (mask, fins, snorkel) take it carry-on.

Don't do it!

I used to own property there, and had to "overnight" stuff frequently, and it never worked. You are better off taking it on the plane with you, and hoping you and the luggage show up at the same time.

Are you going scheduled air, or a charter?

Forget it. Very, very bad idea, for the reasons mentioned above. Shipping and mail barely works here, and when it does it's only because you paid it's weight in gold. It's far safer on the worst airline than with any courier coming down here.

Has anyone shipped their SCUBA gear from the states directly to their hotel in Cozumel?
I am worried about the airlines losing our luggage and I'd rather be safe an FedEx or UPS me and my GF's gear. anyone have advice?
thanks

I have had to FedEx packages to Cozumel before. You will spend more on shipping your gear down than a plane ticket. From my experiences it will cost you about $10 a pound and their could be an upcharge for larger dimensions.

In the many years I have been flying into Cozumel the airlines have never lost my scuba gear. A friend staying with us one time got their gear the next day. Apparently it did not make the connecting flight in Houston.

I agree. I have another idea as well. If you are really afraid of this happening, this is the only place you dive, and you come fairly often.... there are companies that will store you gear here for you. Some include the yearly service in there fee. It would definitely be cheaper than shipping it here.

thanks
SCUBA... now this makes more sense. When I saw your post originally, you had said "snorkel gear" and I couldn't figure out why you'd you'd be so worried about that. :wink:

I carry my mask, reg and dive computers in carry-on anytime I'm going on a dive trip. If the rest doesn't make it when I do, no worries, I have what I feel is the most important stuff and I can rent the rest until my bags arrive. Depending on what else you carry and what gear you have, it is possible to get a full set in a carry-on.

In 20 years of flying to Cancun and Cozumel, I have only once had a bag no arrive with me. I really wouldn't worry about it. Also, if by chance you didn't get all your gear, most Cozumel shops have decent rental equipment. If you don't like what they have, you can rent directly from Cozumel Scuba Repair too. Larry has his own line of gear. It's basic, well-made and well maintained.

thanks

In our carryons we pack our mask, regulator and computer. Also, a swimsuit, pair of flip flops and a change of clothes, camera. This way IF our gear didn't show up when we did, we wouldn't need anything but the BC and fins. We use Dive With Martin and they have free gear rental so cost wouldn't be an issue there, but we would need to let them know when we got there so they would have one available. Whichever shop you use would most likely have anything you needed. So far we've been lucky and have only had to deal with a few beat up bags, but nothing ever lost or left behind. Our last trip in March we were able to cut down our bags to only one checked bag each. I was able to fit most of our clothes (shorts, shirts, nothing bulky), masks, computers, regulators in our carryons. I didn't use our regular gear bags, but used a suitcase each instead for the checked bags with the rest of our gear, toiletries, shoes. You can throw in a mesh bag for the dive boat for your gear. We were able to take everything we needed with one suitcase and one carryon each. This was awesome…much easier to get around than when we used to check 2 bags each and a carryon. So while the airlines started charging for the 2nd checked bag, it just made us pack lighter. Even if they stopped charging, I don't think I would go back to taking more checked bags.

thanks

I'll just echo what everyone else has said - don't think about it. It's about as impractical as chartering a private plane to bring your luggage down.

1. International shipping
  2. Dive equipment is not light
  3. Customs
  4. Cost prohibitive
  5. Chances of airlines losing luggage are not that great - most people make it to Cozumel ust fine with all of their luggage - and if it doesn't arrive with you, it will most likely arrive on the next flight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom