Shipwreck Monrovia Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
After several years of diving many of the buoyed wrecks in the Thunder Bay, Alpena area, next summer my friends and I have decided to expand our horizons and try diving the Monrovia. I say "try" because the weather in that area is unpredictable and rough more often than not, so it all depends on that. We will be chartering through TB Scuba but I was wondering if anyone on here has dove her before and has any detailed info on Monrovia? Site sketches? composite pictures? or some some written details of her? Specific info on her seems harder to come by than many other wrecks in the area. Thanks in advance

The Monrovia starts at 90ft with the tops of her cargo boom masts wither her pilothouse and weather deck at about 105-110 the spar deck straddles the rec limit at 125-130 and below is the mud at 155. Plan on 2 dives, one at the bow, one at the stern if diving singles. The stern is more interesting in my opinion due to much of the deck machinery and intactness on her. The cabins are a tight squeeze to get in, even the pilothouse is tight. The engine room and cargo holds are a sight to behold, but may be out of your range. There is plenty of videos of her online from YouTube and the nazis from NOAA. We actually ran across her by accident when towing the sidescan and almost ran it right into her, missed it by about 80ft.

The Monrovia starts at 90ft with the tops of her cargo boom masts wither her pilothouse and weather deck at about 105-110 the spar deck straddles the rec limit at 125-130 and below is the mud at 155. Plan on 2 dives, one at the bow, one at the stern if diving singles. The stern is more interesting in my opinion due to much of the deck machinery and intactness on her. The cabins are a tight squeeze to get in, even the pilothouse is tight. The engine room and cargo holds are a sight to behold, but may be out of your range. There is plenty of videos of her online from YouTube and the nazis from NOAA. We actually ran across her by accident when towing the sidescan and almost ran it right into her, missed it by about 80ft.

Thank you Jared, that's more detailed info than I've been able to collect where I've been looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom