"shoes" to use with Atomic Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshik

Registered
Reaction score
So my wife and I are going to the bahamas. We won't have time to dive but we want to do some snorkeling. We will be bringing our own gear. We have the atomic split fins with the spring straps. we don't want to take our regular scuba boots. would these work ok with the fins?

Amazon.com: O'Neill Reactor Reef Boot (Black/Coal): Sports & Outdoors

41aH5h8MvwL._AA300_.jpg

It looks like they may not come very far up your heel/ankle. My concern would be that they may not cover enough of your heel to keep the spring strap from wearing it raw.

I've used my running shoes many times.....work great, but after the dive they are wet.

I like a short booties with my atomics, but high enough so the strap is on the boot, not the skin over my achilles tendon. So I suggest buying off the rack, not on line, so you can try them on with your fin for proper fit.
DivemasterDennis

So my wife and I are going to the bahamas. We won't have time to dive but we want to do some snorkeling. We will be bringing our own gear. We have the atomic split fins with the spring straps. we don't want to take our regular scuba boots. would these work ok with the fins?

Amazon.com: O'Neill Reactor Reef Boot (Black/Coal): Sports & Outdoors

View attachment 144780

"Would these work ok with the fins?"

Yeppers...

I have a pair of AquaLung low-cut booties/shoes that look exactly like your pictured Neill Reef Boots. Probably made by the same Chinesse kids... The low cut booties/shoes work great in my Atomic Split Fins; no rubbing issues in over 75 dives with them. Like Dennis said, I would buy them off the rack so you can get a good fitted shoe; one that fits both your feet and the fin.

Enjoy the Bahamas...wish I was going there soon.

~Oldbear~

Hey,

I own and use the Atomic split fins with boots not unlike the ones you're asking about now. I find that they hold very well at the back of my heel (below the achilles tendon) without any issue. The spring strap is excellent - it holds securely and does not ride up.

I would've thought that with the textured heels these boots have you will not have any issues.

Best,
A.

I had sorta similar situation when travelled to Caribbean for dive vacation. I didn't want to take my full 5mm booties so opted for pair Bare 3mm shoes. That was before I changed over to Atomic spring straps. The regular Atomic straps halfway through the vacation started to rub up the back of my heel. Wasn't ever painful and I never developed blisters but it was annoying. I recently took the same reef shoes to Hawaii with the new spring straps and they didn't have the same issues with the new straps. The picture of the shoes looks like you get better heel/ankle protection and should do just fine, although individual results may vary.

"Would these work ok with the fins?"

Yeppers...

... The low cut booties/shoes work great in my Atomic Split Fins; no rubbing issues in over 75 dives with them....

~Oldbear~

To clarify my earlier post...both pair of Atomic Splits I use have the spring straps; the rubber strap I carry for emergency replacement.

I am in the process of switching over from scuba booties to water shoes for diving. I have fins with spring straps and I like to wear the strap fairly low on my heal. So I just take a close look at the back of the shoe to make sure there is something that will keep the spring strap from slipping down. There looks to be enough rubber on the heels of those shoes that you could cut a groove to retain the strap if necessary. But the sole looks a little light - OK for most diving but not enough for Bonair.

If you think chaffing of the heel is bad, trust me, it's worse at the fore front of your ankle. Some fins have the foot pocket coming up to that point. It be best to try on a booties with your fins right in front of you.

It's honestly not that bad to snorkel in warm water even with zippered 6mm booties. You'll have water flushing through them plenty on your swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom