Shooting Pictures SHQ vs HQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm headed to Kauai tomorrow (wed) and I will be shooting with 256mb xd and 256 CF cards. My question is, do you typically shoot on HQ or SHQ?

I know the basic difference is compression ratio. Whats the consensus on this topic?

Thanks!

I think it depends on what you want the images for. I typically shoot SHQ as that gives me more in terms of being able to edit and print the images. With a lower resolution, you will have less flexibility. RAW would be best, but I don't have the room for it, so I use SHQ mostly.

Thanks Warren...

Since I rarely get to dive in tropical waters. I would want to be able to print and manipulate these pictures.

Do find that SHQ is pretty flexible in terms of being able to manipulate pictures without losing noticeable quality?

I generally have no problems with most of my SHQ images cropping and printing out 8.5 x 11 sized prints (but of course this depends on how much you crop, etc.). With HQ I notice a fair bit of degradation with this size of print. But I think if you wanted to print the smaller 4x6 or even 5x7 HQ should be fine (I've never actually tried these sizes with HQ so I am only guessing on this). With 256 MB, you will have limited storage with SHQ.

I'll second Warren's post. I shoot all my underwater pics on SHQ.
Best of luck on Kauai. Looking forward to seeing your pics. Be sure and take plenty of land ones too. Kauai is the Garden Isle

I agree with the others. I have a 256CF card and I shoot in SHQ. Unless I go nuts, I get two dives on one card.

Dee and Jim,

I am still a relative newby with my camera. I have trouble with SHQ because the picture takes so long to take. I find that after I click the button, I have moved the camera before it finishes taking the pic. How do you deal with that?

DennisW:
Dee and Jim,

I am still a relative newby with my camera. I have trouble with SHQ because the picture takes so long to take. I find that after I click the button, I have moved the camera before it finishes taking the pic. How do you deal with that?

Dennis, I don't believe that has much to do with the resolution of the image you are taking moreso than the settings for the shot itself. If you are using a slow shutter speed, you may need to open up your lens or increase the lighting somehow. Or perhaps move to a higher ISO.

It doesn't take longer to take an image in SHQ than it does in HQ. It will take the camera longer to store the image in the higher resolution, but the difference is minor. What's happening to you is called shutter lag. You need to press the button down halfway to get the camera to autofocus...takes a half second or so...and then press the button all the way down to take the picture... Practice above water taking images of moving objects. If you are using a c5050, the "P" mode is not very smart and will often choose long shutter speeds which will blur the image because you can't hold it completely still. You may want to use shutter priority...

Dennis,
jlylees response sounds right on. It's the nature of digital cameras. That's why so many folks get "fish butt shots" as the fish swims out of the picture.
I don't use full time auto focus but the half way down shutter control method to focus. Also hold your position for a split sec after you take the pic just to be sure you didn't move. I don't use "P" mode either, not even for land pics. I'm sure your 5050 has the same options as my 4000 when it comes to those extra settings like the one for "sports" which is for fast moving objects. I have never used it underwater though.
Digital cameras take getting used to that's for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom