Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had major sinus surgery a couple of years ago. (The recovery process really sucked!) I started using a neti pot regularly, but I'm on the fence as to it's effectiveness. Sometimes I swear it actually exacerbates an oncoming cold/sinus infection.

Couv and AleG, glad it is working for you and that you are staying healthy. You should tell your boss and make it part of the wellness program for work. Not only would it help reduces claims for your health insurance thus reducing your renewal costs, but it would increase productivity due to less lost time out of work and the elimination of reduced productiveness of the sickies who do show up.

I tried the nasal rinse today using the NeilMed bottle to help a mild mid-ear reverse squeeze blockage i got diving last week. It does seem to help. I'm wondering, though, if anyone has experience getting the rinse solution into the eustachian tubes to clean them too?

Thanks,
Rod.

I tried the nasal rinse today using the NeilMed bottle to help a mild mid-ear reverse squeeze blockage i got diving last week. It does seem to help. I'm wondering, though, if anyone has experience getting the rinse solution into the eustachian tubes to clean them too?

Starting with about 8oz of saline solution, I use a 60cc syringe to intermittently pressurize the solution while injecting it into my nasal passages. From the feel and sound of it, this probably includes my eustachian tubes.

I do this procedure while in the shower, which makes it very easy. With my head tipped back, I close the opposite nostril and pressurize intermittently while irrigating and keeping my nasal passages full of solution. This appears to force the irrigation into the various passages which have openings that are occluded or too narrow to allow gravity filling. The backward angle of the head makes the air in those passages rise up to the openings, so it escapes when the pressure is intermittently released, leaving solution in its place.

After the initial injection of the entire solution, most of which has drained out as a simple irrigation, a moderate amount of saline stays in the passages and/or eustachian tubes until the end of my shower until I eject it with several intermittent pressurizations with my head tipped forward. I estimate the amount could be as much as two or three ounces.

If I was a real fanatic about wanting a longer exposure to the soaking irrigation, I could eject it later, after the shower. Unfortunately, some would be ejected at inopportune times.... :wink:

My posts earlier in this thread will provide more detail.

HTH.

Dave C

Last edited:
That is really interesting dave4868.

Well, when I started this thread in October 2007, I was having some good early results. Over 4 years later and I am still rinsing. Without a doubt this has changed my life. I know I keep saying that, but it is true. Something so simple and easy has dramatically improved my life and health. I love not being sick all the time like I used to be. I used to have only a few days a year were I didn't feel all cruddy. And now it is only a few days a year that I feel a little off my game and I don't need meds to fight anything off anymore.

Well, when I started this thread in October 2007, I was having some good early results. Over 4 years later and I am still rinsing. Without a doubt this has changed my life. I know I keep saying that, but it is true. Something so simple and easy has dramatically improved my life and health. I love not being sick all the time like I used to be. I used to have only a few days a year were I didn't feel all cruddy. And now it is only a few days a year that I feel a little off my game and I don't need meds to fight anything off anymore.

Interesting how NeilMed has changed some divers' lives. I am a firm believer in the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. I as still using it twice a day.

Thanks Dave. I went back and read this thread from the start and found the +ve results reported by most to be really encouraging. The eustachian tube manouver sounds complicated but I'll likely give it a shot. I'm just not sure of the mechanics yet of getting the tubes to open -- but then I'm not even sure if there's something closing them off.

Cheers,
Rod.

Starting with about 8oz of saline solution, I use a 60cc syringe to intermittently pressurize the solution while injecting it into my nasal passages. From the feel and sound of it, this probably includes my eustachian tubes.

I do this procedure while in the shower, which makes it very easy. With my head tipped back, I close the opposite nostril and pressurize intermittently while irrigating and keeping my nasal passages full of solution. This appears to force the irrigation into the various passages which have openings that are occluded or too narrow to allow gravity filling. The backward angle of the head makes the air in those passages rise up to the openings, so it escapes when the pressure is intermittently released, leaving solution in its place.

After the initial injection of the entire solution, most of which has drained out as a simple irrigation, a moderate amount of saline stays in the passages and/or eustachian tubes until the end of my shower until I eject it with several intermittent pressurizations with my head tipped forward. I estimate the amount could be as much as two or three ounces.

If I was a real fanatic about wanting a longer exposure to the soaking irrigation, I could eject it later, after the shower. Unfortunately, some would be ejected at inopportune times.... :wink:

My posts earlier in this thread will provide more detail.

HTH.

Dave

My update: It's been over a year since I started using the Neil Med and I'm happy to report that I've only had one cold since then and it lasted only a few days. I don't get sick very often, but everyone in my family has come down with a cold or flu a few times as well as the people I work with.

I'm now only rinsing once or twice a week unless I'm around sick people.

I've sold a few people on nasal rinsing since I began. USBB....you should be proud.

Couv

My update: It's been over a year since I started using the Neil Med and I'm happy to report that I've only had one cold since then and it lasted only a few days. I don't get sick very often, but everyone in my family has come down with a cold or flu a few times as well as the people I work with.

I'm now only rinsing once or twice a week unless I'm around sick people.

I've sold a few people on nasal rinsing since I began. USBB....you should be proud.

Couv

I am proud of you Couv! It is cool when you can share something that costs almost nothing with someone and it helps them a great deal. The to hear they are passing it along makes me smile too.

Thanks Dave. I went back and read this thread from the start and found the +ve results reported by most to be really encouraging. The eustachian tube manouver sounds complicated but I'll likely give it a shot. I'm just not sure of the mechanics yet of getting the tubes to open -- but then I'm not even sure if there's something closing them off.

It's really quite simple, so it must just need a better description than I gave.... Look out, here it comes! :D

The mechanics, as I understand them, as a non-expert, are that nasal passages, nasal sinuses and other structures, such as eustachian tubes, will vary from one person to the next in terms of how easily they will open and drain or get clogged and trap debris and/or infection.

I feel lucky that I'm not prone to getting the severe recurrent sinus infections that some have reported, but I've had milder sinus infections that occasionally drag on for months. So, thankfully, UnderSeaBumbleBee's thread got me to try the saline irrigation route. (I'm indebted, USBB!)

However, when I tried to irrigate using gravity alone, I was quite sure my sinuses weren't getting irrigated at all. I did some experimenting and found that forcing the saline solution into the passages was the only way I would effectively clean out those semi-closed passages. I'll spare you the description of the visible evidence.... :wink:

A secondary benefit, I concluded, was that the process of pressurized irrigation exercised my eustachian tubes and I subsequently found it easier to clear when diving. Others have reported the same effect by practicing clearing just by using the technique of pinched nose/Valsalva maneuver with air alone.

The mechanics of getting the eustachian tubes to open is simple either way. You're simply pressurizing them and then they depressurize, usually passively or sometimes with some jaw movements or swallowing or slight re-pressurizing, etc.

As far as irrigating the eustachian tubes when I do my thing, I'm not even sure that's occuring or even advantageous, but the exercising of the tubes is definitely a good thing. I haven't seen any problems using saline to do it.

If you were asking about the mechanics of using a syringe to pressurize the nasal saline irrigation, that's simple, too.

With my head tipped back, when the saline-filled 60cc syringe hub is inserted into a nostril, I press the base of the syringe against the nostril to seal it. Then I inject saline until the open passages are filled with saline, that is, when the saline starts to run out of the other nostril. Since my head is tilted back, there is no longer any air in those open passages, just saline.

As the next loads of saline are injected, I intermittently pinch the other nostril shut while saline is overflowing, thereby pressurizing my nasal passages and forcing saline into the semi-closed areas, such as sinuses and, possibly, eustachian tubes, which makes my ears pop. The air in those semi-closed areas is gradually replaced to some extent by saline. After injecting/irrigating 8-ounces of saline solution, I can actually hear it sloshing around when I shake my head. The saline continues to bathe those semi-closed passages while I finish my shower.

The process of clearing the saline from those passages is a simple matter of tilting the head forward, and alternatingly pinching and unpinching both nostrils timed with intermittent blowing to create and then release pressure in the nasal passages. This time, because of the position of the head, the saline in those semi-closed passages is near the openings and will be ejected and replaced with air. It might take me ten such pressurization cycles to get most of the saline out, sometimes aided by changing head position side to side.

So, I'm probably guilty of providing WAY Too Much Information, but there it is.... You asked for it, more or less! :rofl3:

I hope it answers your question about the "mechanics of getting the tubes to open".

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom