Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone seen a real review from a disinterested party?

The Mayo Clinic recommends this procedure for runny nose and nonallergic rhinitis.

Mayo Clinic researchers have found that chronic sinusitis may be caused by toxic snot, in which case a sinus rinse may just be what the doctor ordered.

The Mayo Clinic Store sells the NeilMed product line.

I've used the OTC saline rinse in a squeeze bottle for years. As an amateur woodworker and home remodeler, I find that it helps to clear out the dust and cut down on allergic reactions to plaster and sawdust. Far fewer colds too.

I do it during colder times, as I also have mild sinus condition and it definetly helps! I don't do it too frequent, like couple of times a week if I have problems or I skip it altogether if everything is ok.

Just take care where you grab your cup of the sea not to get an infection with contaminated water.

Also, if you need scientific proof, a local pharmaceutical company over here dilutes sea water, bottles it in small packages and sells it like hot cakes. :)

The Mayo Clinic recommends this procedure for runny nose and nonallergic rhinitis.

Mayo Clinic researchers have found that chronic sinusitis may be caused by toxic snot, in which case a sinus rinse may just be what the doctor ordered.

The Mayo Clinic Store sells the NeilMed product line.

Far fewer colds too.

Anecdotal doesn't count. Actually this entire thread, (except for the paper below) is predicated upon anecdotal evidence from "believers".

"Far fewer colds" than what? Who? When? That's silly.

Mayo clinic sells it? Aha. So we're back to finding disinterested parties.

Here is what I am looking for:

A randomized controlled trial of 6 weeks of nasal irrigation with hypertonic saline in 69 patients with frequent sinusitis showed significant improvement in sinus symptoms and a reduction in antibiotic usage in the irrigation group.
Rabago D; Zgierska A; Mundt M; Barrett B; Bobula J; Maberry R, Efficacy of daily hypertonic saline nasal irrigation among patients with sinusitis: a randomized controlled trial,J Fam Pract 2002 Dec;51(12):1049-55.

Patients who complain of nasal congestion or drainage from excessive mucus production are instructed to irrigate their nose twice a day with warm saline solution using a bulb syringe. The saline is gently squirted into one nostril and then the other while bending over a sink. The solution should drain out of the nostrils, carrying with it excess mucus from within the nose and sinuses. This relatively simple technique can provide great symptomatic relief in many patients with sinusitis.

Anyone else?

Mayo clinic sells it? Aha. So we're back to finding disinterested parties.

Here is what I am looking for:

A randomized controlled trial of 6 weeks of nasal irrigation with hypertonic saline in 69 patients with frequent sinusitis showed significant improvement in sinus symptoms and a reduction in antibiotic usage in the irrigation group.

My ENT told me to use it, and I haven't had a sinus infection or cold since.

You can hold out for all the studies you want, but I am all the evidence I need.

Terry

I use NeilMed sinus rinse too.

Just picked up my NeilMed Sinus Rise from Walmart. I was trying to decide between the Sinus Rinse and the Neti Pot version when I noticed on the side of the Neti Pot box it said that since the pot was a gravity system, the lack of pressure may not clean everything out as well. With all the positive responses I have high expectations from this thing, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Also, if you need scientific proof, a local pharmaceutical company over here dilutes sea water, bottles it in small packages and sells it like hot cakes. :)

Yup. That seals it. I'm convinced. :lotsalove:

I am beginning to suspect that this "treatment" is just like all the other quack treatments out there. I spoke to a few ENTs who all thought that it could not hurt (provided you don't overdo it and only use saline), but that it is of no clinical value.

Yeah, Terry, we all feel better afterwards. I suppose that you could have a hot bath, a sauna or a massage and feel better. It just doesn't do much more than that! :51:

Well salt makes a hyer or hypo tonic environment for bacteria crenating or exploding the bacterial cells. Also peroxide kills bacteria also as a strong oxidizer. So there is a scientific basis for nasal washes.

Anecdotal doesn't count. Actually this entire thread, (except for the paper below) is predicated upon anecdotal evidence from "believers".

Because we know science and medicine studies are never wrong? You will probably never see a major study on this because A) anyone can mix salt & water so there is no major sales potential and B) if it really does reduce sinus and cold symptoms, it will lessen the existing retail and prescription sales.

I had this done for me by a Swedish Dr in about 1982 who also used what is now a highly controlled substance as an anesthetic.

It works for me, there is no scientific data to indicate any contraindications, and thats all the "science" I need.

Because we know science and medicine studies are never wrong? You will probably never see a major study on this because A) anyone can mix salt & water so there is no major sales potential and B) if it really does reduce sinus and cold symptoms, it will lessen the existing retail and prescription sales.

I had this done for me by a Swedish Dr in about 1982 who also used what is now a highly controlled substance as an anesthetic.

It works for me, there is no scientific data to indicate any contraindications, and thats all the "science" I need.

No kidding. If I can prevent the common cold and (pretty much everything else) with a little salt water in a squeeze bottle, I couldn't care less what any studies show.

Terry

All the reviews seem to come from people eager to sell the stuff. Has anyone seen a real review from a disinterested party? Has anyone published anything on this? I'd like to try it but first want to see some data about the efficacy of the product. It sounds quite benign - that's not my concern. I'm more interested in whether this really works. No anecdotes please...

LOL! Now that I go back and read my post...I do sound like I'm a paid advertiser for it. But, I stand by what I said. Great product. My husband had no ear issues after using this for a couple of days before his dives. I used it the one time and it made my nasal passages exceptionally clear. I will probably just use it if I feel like I'm getting stuffy since I don't have any sinus issues to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom