Shop air quality testing standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayakingphotos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What standards do certifying agencies (NAUI, PADI, SSI, etc) require of their shops regarding air quality standards that air fills need to meet, and what frequency is the testing required?

I was in a shop (United States) this year that kind of surprised me as to when their last air test was done.....

Patrick

why would the agencies have a requirement on frequency and quality standards on the compressor? They are a certifying agency, nothing more

Because their brand is prominently used in shop marketing. For example, if you are advertising yourself as a "PADI 5 STAR DIVE CENTER", would PADI not mind if "Quality is Job #6"?

I read somewhere here on scubaboard an article that said there was a lawsuit some years ago and Padi no longer had air test requirements except for Florida. Search it up or Google it.

I read somewhere here on scubaboard an article that said there was a lawsuit some years ago and Padi no longer had air test requirements except for Florida. Search it up or Google it.

I did read that article (here for anybody looking), but I also just talked to a PADI 5 star shop and he said PADI is a quarterly requirement. Not sure what sort of enforcement is in place though or if its just the "Code of Ethics"

Even if they did a test and posted the results on their wall, within a few hours it would be out of date and possibly irrelevant. A compressor's air can go from very good to poor in the space of an hour or so if the filtration media is past its "use by date".

Even if they did a test and posted the results on their wall, within a few hours it would be out of date and possibly irrelevant. A compressor's air can go from very good to poor in the space of an hour or so if the filtration media is past its "use by date".

the good ones I know will test right before a filter change. logic being if the air was good before the old filters came out, it will be just as good if not better with brand new cartridges. Obviously room for error, but since these are all pretty much pre-packed, it's not much of a concern I have

Does anyone know how much this kind of analyzers cost?

Puracon Mobil BA | L&W Compressors

It looks like continuous inline analysis is going to be standard in the future.

you don't want to know.... Last one we bought for work I think was close to $10k. The Nuvair Pro 4 is about $4k and much more reasonable

Back
Top Bottom