Shop Introduction - Learn Scuba Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.Bob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi gang,

Some of you have come across us, but it's time for an introduction. I'm here on behalf of a Chicago dive shop, Learn Scuba Chicago on Fullerton at Western. We are a little unique. First, we are a full service, not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization. How? Well, we like to work with disabled individuals, veterans and kids from underprivileged neighborhoods - plus we are mostly tree huggers, so we dabble in conservation efforts too. So far, we have used the funds generated from our abled bodied training, gear sales and scuba travel to fund our activities. Which brings me to second - we have quickly become Chicagoland's largest entry level training organization - offering NAUI and PADI courses. With about 50 volunteers made up of a course director, instructor trainers, instructors, DMs and DMCs - we serve five pools around Chicagoland with personal, individualized attention in a unique and efficient manner.

But we want to do more. Now that the IRS has armed us with our official NFP designation, we are dabbling in Fundraising too. Every year, we have hosted a Holiday party for our volunteers, friends and family. We loosely define friends and family to include anyone that likes to blow bubbles or anyone that knows someone that likes to blow bubbles. This year, our party committee has has managed to convince many of the employers of our gang and many other companies to donate valuable items for the silent auction. In addition to our usual dive related swag, there will be plane tickets, Disney World passes, pizza gift cards, Hawks jerseys, etc. Sera, the store manager, plans to start posting the various items on our Facebook page.

Anywho, I would like to invite all of you to come join us for this good cause. The shing-ding is in the South Loop, will be catered (Goose Island has even donated adult beverages!!!) and will include many of the 50 some volunteers that make up our program. We are a very warm and inclusive group with amazing diversity in age, background, occupation and ethnicity - everyone fits in.

So, please check out our website or Facebook page or our Facebook event page. Monitor the updates and consider joining us on Jan 23rd. I think after an evening with us - you will become part of the family too.

https://www.facebook.com/events/202696030071371/

Capt Bob

Wish I could be there, but will be diving at Caño Island in Costa Rica! Have fun!

We just received a Webber Grill, and a cordless driver/ impact gun as donations for our silent auction. Come check us out and pick up some cool stuff. See you there!

I have plans to go to Sundance for our 5th annual trip. Sorry we'll miss this b/c the prizes sound awesome.

Back
Top Bottom