Shops that give a good education vs. a title

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what level are you starting this quest? Looking at your profile I see you have listed 50-99 dives "under your belt" yet you say "I have all my own gear and I do have the luxury of taking a month or two to do this so it doesn't need to be shoehorned into a 7-10 day education"....

Frankly, you will need a lot more that a month to evolve into a good Dive Master, let alone progress to the level of Instructor. This process usually takes YEARS not MONTHS.

My advice is much like Jim Lapenta's: experience diving, become proficient, confident & safe in a variety of conditions & environments. Then start your quest to become a DM (and ultimately an Instructor).

FWIW,

Exactly this. To be fair, I started my SSI DiveCon classes with 50 or so dives, but the classes lasted me around 9 months with weekly classes to improve our own skill level, teaching skills (in and out of the water) and how to assist with teaching. After an internship with two OW classes, we were certified, but it takes a good while longer to be a good, self confident DM/AI. After two years I decided to take the next step and go for full instructor. This was, for me at least, another process of four months of weekly classroom and pool trainings.

The basic skills can be taught in a short timespan, but it takes longer before they're a second nature. The difference I see between myself or other instructors and new DiveCons at my club is huge, ranging from group awareness and skill level to way of demonstrating/explaining and management.

Thanks all for the replies. I am currently at rescue diver and since my original post have tipped over the 100 dive mark. I know its not the 1000's that others have but being landlocked makes it a little tough to excel there. True, there is a local quarry but damn! its cold.

I like the idea of the internship path, pretty much what I am looking for. Several months are not enough to be completely proficient I know but i've gotta start somewhere! The social media/tank inspections/captain/and taking a foreign language are all great suggestions and I am either currently working on those or plan on it.

People have mentioned costa rica, cozumel and utila/roatan, all are in the region I would like to teach in and I will check out those groups. Knowing I am looking for an internship and possibly future employment, are there any other suggestions?

Hey All,
I am in the process of making the leap to the pro side of diving and was looking for some guidance as to where to complete. I've done plenty of research online regarding different schools to get my DM and IDC from and noticing that they are broken down in different ways depending on the shop. After talking with my LDS and others I know that its more than just the cost of the education and amount of time but the shop as well. Not a new concept but sometimes not an easy lesson to remember.

There are quite a few places that claim to be able to push you through fast, 100% pass rates, etc. but what I am looking for is an instruction program from a respected company that will actually teach the day to day operations of a dive company in addition to the education. I know it sounds as though I am begging to carry gear and fill tanks but I really do want to know the whole business, not just the motions of teaching. Basically, I want to get my instructor license and be able to get a job not just have a title.

Living near the east coast of NC I would prefer for ease, Florida and south through Central America or the Caribbean since that is the type of diving I would more than likely teach in. I have all my own gear and I do have the luxury of taking a month or so to do this so it doesn't all need to be shoehorned into a 7-10 day education. I can spend the time without nearby nightlife/shopping etc. as I can feel just as at home in a shack on the beach over the dive shop. Luxury is not required. Again, like I said, I would prefer a well respected shop to go through than an easy push through. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Hopefully shop owners and others can chime in with a few suggestions of the companies that they would hire from. If you would prefer, feel free to PM me with any information, all will be kept confidential. Thank you in advance, have a great day!

Come intern with me. LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom