Shore bench with boat style tank tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
91A7C3EB-867F-4BB1-BEC4-3FD2363DE283.jpeg

So I built this today... collapsable aluminum bench with some 10” PVC pipe in an end cap bolted to the bench. I still have to test it... may cut the opening down and shorten the legs a bit.

Here’s a question though... does anyone know the proper name and a source for the tank tube/holder that you see on most dive boats? (lower picture) I got a little carried away with this idea and bought the end cap... I’m sure my buddies are going to want to build their own but they likely will balk at what a 10” end cap costs (~USD$100). I kinda got carried away with this
9D444D8E-1BE9-4C69-8974-A97DAF26934D.jpeg

This may be an option for you and a little cheaper. (Check the specs against your pipe - it looks like it is for 10-3/4 OD pipe)
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Supply-PVCF10-Flange-Diameter/dp/B007ICZPRQ
View attachment 599609

Hate to admit it but I should have thought to ask for a flange but didn't. Unfortunately I was at a local Waterworks supplier and with Covid and general safety restrictions I couldn't just wander the warehouse to look at my options... I didn't even think about a flange.

Thanks for the inspiration and link!

make friends with a plumber who has a wholesale account. the list price to the public on this stuff has a worse markup than scuba gear... been in the business for over 20 years. I think I pay about $20 cdn for that cap...

There is no need for a flange or a cap.

Cut the pipe an extra 6 inches longer on the bottom, make vertical cuts of 6 inch length on the end of the pipe, maybe 6 or 7 equally spaced cuts.... then take a $12 heat gun from harbor freight and heat the pipe at the end of each cut and bend the pipe outward, forming a flange. You can crush it flat with a board or something, wear thick work gloves to be able to grab the pipe when soft and hot.

You could even pre-heat the pipe, by putting the bottom in a big pot of boiling water.

the tank holders on the usual Newton boats are just pvc plumbing pipe as you have used
thats what we use lol
nothing special!

There is no need for a flange or a cap.

Cut the pipe an extra 6 inches longer on the bottom, make vertical cuts of 6 inch length on the end of the pipe, maybe 6 or 7 equally spaced cuts.... then take a $12 heat gun from harbor freight and heat the pipe at the end of each cut and bend the pipe outward, forming a flange. You can crush it flat with a board or something, wear thick work gloves to be able to grab the pipe when soft and hot.

You could even pre-heat the pipe, by putting the bottom in a big pot of boiling water.

I’ll give that a shot... the local yards always have lengths of pipe with broken ends that they sell dirt cheap or, as in my case, give away with the purchase of something else.
Thanks for the tip!

We used 8 inch dia pvc on our first dive boat.

an interesting observation during this process is that the pipe is under significant circumference pressure. We discovered this by making a vertical cut on a section of pipe. It immediately collapsed in on itself and was no longer 8 inches in diameter.

I’ll give that a shot... the local yards always have lengths of pipe with broken ends that they sell dirt cheap or, as in my case, give away with the purchase of something else.
Thanks for the tip!

You may be surprised just how malleable hot pvc is and how easy it is to work with. You can even use a propane torch if you are very careful and are not worried about a little brown discoloration.

Another useful tip - if you are playing with a heat gun and scraps of pipe. A section of 1-in or 3/4" heated up to soft, then crushed in a vice (with the knife blade inside) will form an excellent and secure knife sheath - perfectly conforming to the particular knife. Takes about a minute to do and if it is too loose or too tight, just reheat a little and try again. Also, you want to crush the far end of the sheath more and leave the insertion area a little more open so it is easy to get the knife inserted - when cool. You leave the handle of the knife outside of the sheath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom