Shore dive sites in Tampa...Clearwater...Dunedin...Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampa. As was already said go over to the Florida Conch Divers/Tampa forum and you'll get lots of answers.

where is the best place to do some spring diving around tampa. or which major city would it be best to fly into if i wanted to be close to a good spring dive site?

Gainesville would be a nice central location to fly into. You can go north up to the Tallahassee area in 2 hrs or south to the Orlando area in one hr by car. Most of the major springs like ginnie and devil's den etc... are a short ride from the Gainesville area. Gainesville however isn't a MAJOR city so it will probably cost a bit more to fly there than say Tampa but it will put you closer to the action worth doing.

Go Seminoles:D

Gainesville is a regional airport so you'll have to get a flight vis US Air or Delta from a major hub like Atlanta or Charlotte/Philly.

o thank you. that was very helpful sir. do you know if you can camp at any of the springs near gainesville?

Yes, I have camped at both Ginnie Springs and Devil's Den. Ginnie is much better camping. I did enjoy the nice cabins at Devil's though once. Also some decent campgrounds in the area and some cheap hotels as well. Just do a Google search or stay at Ginnie is my recommendation for camping. Enjoy!:D

Maybe I'm missing something, but have those of you new to diving tried DeLoach's Underwater Florida? If not, it might provide you with many ideas for local diving.

Maybe I'm missing something, but have those of you new to diving tried DeLoach's Underwater Florida? If not, it might provide you with many ideas for local diving.

Excellent suggestion. Of course (for shadow waiting) going to the web pages of some of these places like Ginnie and Devil's will help too.

If you are looking for Florida spring dives, I have been to Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Crystal River and Wikki Watchie. Crystal River is probably the most fun. You can dive in Crystal River if you rent a boat or bring your own. And there are a few locations to dive in the river's springs. Go in the winter and you have a good chance of swimming next to a manatee. Go first thing in the morning and you should have some good vis.

Blue Grotto is also nice. There is a fresh air bell at 35ft and the cavern starts at about 55ft and goes to around 110ft. It will get pitch black around 80ft, so bring a light. There is no need for a line since there is already one tied that will guide you through the cavern.

I didn't think Ginnie was all that interesting. There are a few caverns, but none are anything that I would make the trip for again.

Wikki Watchie is nice to go to once. Last time I went a small family of manatees decided to join me. There is also sound piped in the water (you can hear it crystal clear - like a radio under water).

hey new to cent. fl im lakeland have equipment and boat just need some direction would love to do spering some time im from the east coast of fl so dont know many spots hit me back....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom