Shore Diving at AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one of the things my daughter can't wait for is the post-dive ice creams we would get after the afternoon dives from the little shop there. It became a thing...

Yes, there is stuff for sale at the shop, which is no doubt why they don't give out post-dive fruit or other snacks as some other dive ops do.

My wife really liked that most of the sites were close enough to do SI at the dock (especially nice during "sporty" weather). Better choice of snacks and a bathroom break. Probably made toting snacks on the boat superfluous. I guess they could have given the snacks away at the dock, but why miss a good sales opportunity and as the earlier poster mentioned, ICE CREAM. :)

As far as shore diving, I agree with most of the rest of the posters that it's a bit of a token attempt on the part of the resort. If you want to do it, it is there, but it's not a simple process and doesn't seem to fit with the "flow" of the resort unless you're going to forgo a boat dive. Given shore diving is a mainstay of another major island resort, it looks good on paper. Not a dig at AKR. We really liked the resort, just not a shore diving location in our book. IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited:
...That AKR seemed reluctant to encourage people to do shore dives is one of the reasons I don't think we will return to AKR.

I have to agree; I don't think I'll return to AKR. I was diving DIN and Nitrox. I was told that there would be enough DIN tanks at the shack. There was NOT. The others in my group were able to do the shore dive and I wasn't going to make them wait for me to walk back to the shop and get a tank sent out to the shack. Really disappointed in their Nitrox/DIN set up.

Back
Top Bottom