Shore diving in Georgia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan-

3mm or 3/2 mm wetsuit would be good enough!

Thanks, I'll be packing the three mil. Anyone want to meet at Ginnie or another one of these springs on the 28th? I'll post something in the Florida group as well.

d@n:
Cool, Maybe I'll try that. I haven't been to any of them before so are there any recomendations in particular? What kind of exposure protection would I need? (I dive wet for now)

Thanks!

If you havent dove the springs before heres a few things to keep in mind. Get there early, cause if its a weekend and there are openwater classes going on it tends to get silty from the new divers. The springs usually stay between 65 and 75 degrees, so make your judgement on what type of exposure suit you will need. Check out some sites on the web, I dont have any links, to see what kind of cert you need to dive at the springs. Peacock springs for example wont let you dive with a light unless your cave cert. There are also other places in north florida that wont let you dive unless your cave cert. Im not sure if your bringing a buddy, but its a must in the springs if you havent dove there before.

If anyone has any links on north florida springs to post up please do so.

thanks
kyle

I would try to bring as warm as protection as possible. I bring a 7mil semi-dry. After 3-4 nice long dives in that spring water, I'm glad I brought it. I'm never warm, just comfortable throughout the day.

One time I brought a 5mm everflex down to the springs and after 4 dives all day I was freezing and had to call the night dive after 30-40 minutes. I can handle cold pretty well as I will dive in 45F water in the 7mil semi-dry for a good 30-40 minutes before freezing. It's your call, but if I was planning on pulling more than 1 or 2 dives while I was down there I would bring as warm of an exposure suit as you have.

Matt

Cool, looks like I need to...

A. Find a buddy since Ginnie won't let me dive there without one
B. Bring a 5 or 7 mil

Thanks for all the input

d@n:
Cool, looks like I need to...

A. Find a buddy since Ginnie won't let me dive there without one
B. Bring a 5 or 7 mil

Thanks for all the input
Sounds like good advice to me. I would try posting over in the florida conch divers forum. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a good buddy to come out to ginnie with you.

Matt

kylepreid:
The springs usually stay between 65 and 75 degrees, so make your judgement on what type of exposure suit you will need. Peacock springs for example wont let you dive with a light unless your cave cert. Im not sure if your bringing a buddy, but its a must in the springs if you havent dove there before.

Actually Peacock won't let you in the water without atleast cavern certification nowadays. OW divers just aren't allowed anymore.

You have to have a buddy to dive Ginnie, you can bring a light into the main spring, but unless you have intro cave cert(maybe cavern?) you can't bring a light into the Devil springs(Eye, Ear, Little).

Central FL springs are generally 70+ºF while panhandle springs are usually around 68ºF.

I do fine in a 3mm full suit in the springs, I'll generally wear a hood and gloves in the panhandle, but not usually in central FL.

JaxvilleDiver,

Where are St. Mary's Jetties and Ocean Pond located? I did a quick search on google and came out unuseful information. Can you tell me a little more details and maybe we will go dive either location? What did you see in them? many marine animals or etc?

Thanks.

The St. Mary's jetties are near the Navy Base in St. Mary's GA - I've got to get some good directions for you - It's been so long since I've been there I'd prob. get lost.

Ocean Pond, NE corner of the fork formed by Hwy. 250A's intersection with Hwy. 90/10 (Lake City to Jacksonville).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom