Shore diving in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those looking for more info on the Lighthouse Point dive, there is a lot of information on the Divetech website: https://www.divetech.com/shore-diving

A downloadable 2D map is available: https://04455b71-b831-45d2-ace1-14c...d/813ebd_2b0db486e69a42c1aab3c1e97efb2a05.pdf

My favorite dive is to head out to the miniwall, stay at the same depth as the top of the miniwall (about 30 ft) whilst following the line to the deep wall (as to conserve gas and NDL). On the deep wall, drop down to about 90 feet and follow the reef towards the right, there are a lot of little canyons to have a peek at. Come back over the top of the wall after about 10 - 15 min and you'll find yourself near the coral finger pointing back to the mini wall (you can easily see it). Follow the finger back, have a look at the coral trees, swim back along the mini wall till you see the guardian statue, and take a left back to the dock. All in all about a 45 - 60 min dive, making it an easy dive to see both mini and deep wall in one shore dive.

(Full disclosure - I used to work for Divetech).

I know this route well! Makes for a very easy to navigate and diversified dive, between the mini wall, sand flat, deep wall. and hard pan, you get to experience it all!!

Reef Smart's Grand Cayman guidebook makes it clear in the shore diving intro that many of the shore diving locations in the book are for residents/guests of the resort or condo complex adjacent to the site, and that non-residents/guests need to contact the adjacent dive center (if one exists there) in order to access the site from shore.
Sorry - I don't see that anywhere in the article that was linked in the OP. Hence my comment.

Love this Grand Cayman shore dives are fantastic and most are easy relaxed dives. My favorite on the list would be Turtle Reef. surprised Don Fosters in not listed. Lighthouse is great. And don't forget to kiss the mermaids ti oops barnicles..

Love this Grand Cayman shore dives are fantastic and most are easy relaxed dives. My favorite on the list would be Turtle Reef. surprised Don Fosters in not listed. Lighthouse is great. And don't forget to kiss the mermaids ti oops barnicles..

Definitely, we had to leave a few contenders out. Don Foster’s is a good one – we call that site Casuarina Point in the book. Honorable mentions also go out to Spanish Bay Reef, Waldo’s Reef (home of Waldo the friendly green moray back in the day), Smith Cove, and Roger’s Reef on the East End, which is adjacent to the islands main turtle nesting beach. Some people even claim to shore dive Ghost Mountain, which sounds a bit extreme to me, but might be do-able for the brave.

For those looking for more info on the Lighthouse Point shore dive, there is a lot of information on the Divetech website: https://www.divetech.com/shore-diving

A downloadable 2D map is available: https://04455b71-b831-45d2-ace1-14c...d/813ebd_2b0db486e69a42c1aab3c1e97efb2a05.pdf

My favorite dive is to head out from the dock to the miniwall near the guardian statue, stay mid-water at the same depth as the top of the miniwall (about 30 ft) whilst following the line to the deep wall (so don't drop down to the sandy bottom where the line is as to conserve gas and NDL). On the deep wall, drop down to about 90 feet and follow the reef towards the right, there are a lot of little canyons to have a peek at. Come back over the top of the wall after about 10 - 15 min and you'll find yourself near the coral finger pointing back to the mini wall (you can easily see it). Follow the finger back, have a look at the coral trees, swim back along the mini wall till you see the guardian statue, and take a left back to the dock. All in all about a 45 - 60 min dive, making it an easy dive to see both mini and deep wall in one shore dive.

(Full disclosure - I used to work for Divetech).
Great to know. I’ve dived several times on the mini wall but thought the main wall too far. Will have to try it... next time... if we can ever get back there.

Great to know. I’ve dived several times on the mini wall but thought the main wall too far. Will have to try it... next time... if we can ever get back there.

I usually calculate for about a 10 min swim from the Guardian to the deep wall. As it is all sandy bottom, I therefore recommend staying mid-water to conserve gas and NDL. And just take an easy pace so you don't use too much gas on this 'crossing over'. Saying that there are some great things to see along the sandy bottom, spotted quite a few flying gurnards there and the occasional Eagle Ray cruising by.
On the way back as you follow the coral finger almost all the way back to the mini-wall you can just follow the reef making getting back more integrated into the whole dive.

Ok sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but figured it was sort of in the right vein. What do people do with car rental keys when shore diving in the caymans? In bonaire the rental truck keys just got wet and nothing much to do about it, but we are guessing we will get normal key fobs with our rental on the island, since it's just the wife and I we don't have anyone staying dry to hang out and watch the car/keys while we are diving.

Ok sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but figured it was sort of in the right vein. What do people do with car rental keys when shore diving in the caymans? In bonaire the rental truck keys just got wet and nothing much to do about it, but we are guessing we will get normal key fobs with our rental on the island, since it's just the wife and I we don't have anyone staying dry to hang out and watch the car/keys while we are diving.
If you shore dive TR/ Macabuca at nite, the bartenders will keep your keys for you. Folks usually give them a couple $ or a brownie or two as payment.:wink: Todd, Phil, Tanner , and now Chloe as well are absolutely great about helping divers out! Other sites, you might look for hidey holes, or perhaps ask your rental car agency for a valet key as well!

I leave my keys in the dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom