Shore diving LA/OC area, early Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
I've never been to Redondo beach, it may be prudent to not try two new things at once. I do however appreciate the general openness to buddy up.

Smart move. If I remember correctly, that's one of the first few "rules" of night diving.

@JamesBon92007
I agree Reef Point never disappoints ! Some what open to wave action
A bit of history questions ?????
~~ Do you recall the original names of reef point - there were two - ?
~~ Do you know the names of the two record fish speared at Reef Point ?
~~ Who speared them?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Scuba Lawyer
"Thanks for the write-up Sam! Should I PayPal you or just hand you cash like usual? :)"

The usual fee plus 50% - it was a week end - and the contract calls for a 50% bonus
Actually it was my honor to take the time out of my busy retirement schedule and recall so many good and great memories of our long lasting friendship--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Lake Hickory Scuba

Well by Gum as we say in California !

A big belated California Congratulations !

When @Trace Malinowski received his Pro 5000 i checked the board-- no one but Trace and I were Pro 5000. Over the years I posted inquires but received no responses Now you indicate there are numerous other SSI Pro 5000 on the SCUBA board ? Perhaps it is time to once again post an inquiry - " Who is a SSI Pro 5000?"

Being a recipient of the Pro 5000 is a great earned honor that only a select few divers will ever receive . The honor should not be taken lightly - It is the most respected honor in diving today and has been for over 25 years.

Mark, as I recall received his Pro 5000 in 1995 or so several years after I received mine.. I note that you received your Pro 5000 over 20 years later in in 2016.. Longevity is not a factor for we will forever be bound as band of brothers via the SSI Pro 5000

My son, Sam IV is also a SSI Pro 5000, we are the second father and son in the long history of the SSI Pro 5000 to receive the honor. When he received his honor about 12 or more years ago Clive Cussler and son Dirk sent Sam IV their latest book inscribed to Sam IV. I searched and found a 1905 USN dive manual and a Merks manual of the same era and presented it to him.
In our family and community of diving we consider the SSI Pro 5000 a great honor one that is earned and not purchased

Sam Miller, 111

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Jake
"......Shaw's isn't the best dive in Laguna, but it's among the easiest because it's an out-and-back reef, so navigation is a snap. It's a healthy reef though, so while it's not the best it's definitely a great dive...….."

Jake.
What do you personally consider a better dive for a untested NorCal diver who would like to experience SoCal diving ?

\Do you have any specific locations?
I suspect Mark and I certainly would like to know about them- unless they are your secret locations ????

Sam Miller, 111

"......Shaw's isn't the best dive in Laguna, but it's among the easiest because it's an out-and-back reef, so navigation is a snap. It's a healthy reef though, so while it's not the best it's definitely a great dive...….."

Jake.
What do you personally consider a better dive for a untested NorCal diver who would like to experience SoCal diving ?

\Do you have any specific locations?
I suspect Mark and I certainly would like to know about them- unless they are your secret locations ????
Sam Miller, 111

OP has 40 dives and states they’re comfortable in what sounds like similar diving to what we have down here. So, I’m assuming they could do dives other than Shaw’s north/west. I’m not discouraging Shaw’s and think it would be a fine first dive, but just want to set expectations that there are more interesting OC dives in my opinion.

Another location that I think is well suited to new area divers is Mountain street (next to Hotel Capri). It’s a wide open landscape with lots to see. Because there is no deep reef to get lost in, navigation is very easy and the walk down is easier than at Shaw’s.

As to secret spots: about 10 years ago you sent me a thick packet full of information from all your time in OC. I suspect there no spots I’ve been that you haven’t been to long before me. :)

I still dive "Sam's Reef" off the south end of Wood's Cove. It's a long swim off the beach but still a fantastic 75-85 foot dive with walls, canyons, huge gorgonians, etc... I'm sure it's no longer the "secret" reef it used to be. Sam "forced" me to dive it in the late 70s and I pulled a 10 pound bug off it on that first dive. :cool:

Jake.
! agree with you -- but I would suggest first a "check out dive" in a sterile easy dive like Shaws cove. especially when the visiting diver has an unknown ability
Then if all goes well explore other sites

Such as the location you suggested aka Garbage Can- or at lest my generation's name for the location

Then perhaps south to Cleo Street, Woods cove and Moss street.
amd even further south

I am delighted that the packet I sent you is of value-- I dove OC for so many years and knew it like the back of my hand.

Take care and stay wet

Sam

~~ Who speared them?

I only recall one of each: Scotsman's Cove and Giant Black Sea Bass. Here is a short video clip I took at Scotsman's a few years ago:

If you're interested, there is going to be two pretty big daytime dives at Vets Park sponsored by Pacific Wilderness. First is Christmas morning from 8 - 11 AM. Second, is the morning of 1/1/19 at 9 AM with a tailgate party afterwards. Both of these events are free and it's a good opportunity to meet many of the southern LA county divers. I won't be at the Christmas dive but I may be at the New Year's day dive... it was great last year. As usual, all of this is dependent on conditions. Should still be lots of squid action at Redondo during both of these dives.

Info can be found at the Pacific Wilderness web site.

@JamesBon92007
~~ Who speared them?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Up the beach a little ways (North) the area with the beach houses used to be called Crystal Cove which never made any sense to me because the nearest cove is at Reef Point. The whole area used to be referred to as Scotsman's Cove but I know that particular cove as being the one that's further South with the steps leading down. As far as fish go, I speared a huge Kelp Bass there many years ago but I don't remember how much it weighed :wink: If it wasn't a record it was probably pretty close. I didn't know the place was called Reef Point until I got a boat and read it on a chart. Years later they put up a sign after they made it a state park. I have seen some huge sheepshead there but never tried to spear them as they were rather special to me and a part of the local critters that lived on the reef. I don't know what the record fish were but I would guess either sheepshead or kelp bass.

@Scuba Lawyer "

'I still dive "Sam's Reef" off the south end of Wood's Cove. It's a long swim off the beach but still a fantastic 75-85 foot dive with walls, canyons, huge gorgonians, etc... I'm sure it's no longer the "secret" reef it used to be. Sam "forced" me to dive it in the late 70s and I pulled a 10 pound bug off it on that first dive. :cool:"

I love that reef - It was my UW Stater Bros, Albertsons & Safeway -Always productive for sea food,
It is apparent you are a local "Sam's reef " was what it was called by my friends. When Dale Schlecker of CDN was preparing his guide book he questioned me about the WW 11 airplane that had crashed in the shore line a Woods Cove I messed up and mentioned the reef -- he gave it the name Millers reef - on Page 56 of his Dive guide.
which was stated "Too far a swim for the average diver"
-- Any reef over a yard from shore and deeper than water they can wade in is just too much for the modern diver~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Scuba Lawyer
I only recall one of each: Scotsman's Cove and Giant Black Sea Bass.

Another "SIGAR" (even though you don't smoke )

Scotsman's cove
Was also known as "Shangri-La" according to some.
I suspect it might have been named after the supposed take off point of Doolittle's WW11 Tokyo to raiders which President Roosevelt proclaimed "the planes took off from Shangri-La"
Or from the WW11 Movie "Lost Horizons" - which Shangri-La was a land of peace and perpetual youth
( I wouldn't mind moving there !)

Then there is the "horse pastures" where all those horses were stabled - right on a million dollar beach !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Giant Back Sea Bass-- I have difficulty with Giant still want to use the word Black

Jack Dudley of the "Laguna snorkelers club"-- 450 pounds- Memorial day 1960
Jack was on a early morning dive with his son -- saw the fish. Had a gun in hand but no terminal gear They got out of the water, drove back to Laguna Beach rigged his gun, drove back to Scotsman's. He and his son hunted and was ready to call it a day when his son saw the fishes tail -- Jack took a guest a mate shot which was a solid stick and the battle was on...He got it through the surf high and dry -- new BSB WR!

Jack was very active in the early days of diving- he was also an artist. He painted "The night dive' which was used as a cover for SDM - Jack has passed on but his son and Sam IV knew each other

Omar Wood - White Sea Bass- 70 + to 72 comes to mind
During the lovely summer months O would stop by Scotsman for a early morning sunrise dip always with his gun.
One morning he speared a huge WSB - took it to the Aquatic Center weighed it -- A new WR !
O obtained all the certificates to register as a WR but O got busy at the AC
Before he could submit his WR had been broken and registered by a diver from LA

Omar moved to Escalante Utah in the spring and summer and back to SoCal in winter, We remained in contact for years - a year or so ago all his telephone numbers had been disconnected with no new numbers

@JamesBon92007
Just a little history...now you know
It be a spear fishing WR it must have been speared via breath hold diving aka free diving

Now to begin my day

Sam Miller, 111

@Scuba Lawyer "

'

Then there is the "horse pastures" where all those horses were stabled - right on a million dollar beach !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@JamesBon92007
Just a little history...now you know
It be a spear fishing WR it must have been speared via breath hold diving aka free diving

Now to begin my day

Sam Miller, 111

Ah yes, horse pastures! I don't think I've heard it called that for 40 years. Also, nobody in OC spears fish with SCUBA :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom