Shore diving LA/OC area, early Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, nobody in OC spears fish with SCUBA :wink:

You say with a wink and a nod. :cool:

35 lb taken at 110 feet while it was swimming by (hence the mid-section shot and not a head shot).:) I could not have gotten this fish without being on SCUBA.

HaoBg6.jpg

@metalheadluigi
You now know just a little about the diver Identified as @Scuba Lawyer who has offered to be your OC dive guide.
Still interested ?

I would strongly urge that you only consider OC for you vacation diving. As we all know in the winter storms originate in the north creating huge surf for all unprotected north facing beach areas.

The majority of OC beaches are protected by Point Fermin are in a cove and face south, well protected from the northern winter storms and resulting huge surf therefore generally provide great recreational diving..

There is no one with greater knowledge and experience of OC diving than @Scuba Lawyer

Sam Miller, 111

Went for a dive with Luis this morning (@metalheadluigi). Great guy and great diver!. We dove Shaw's Cove. Been a while since I dove that cove. Saw huge green abalone and a number of decent-sized lobster. Now that it is a reserve the Sheepshead and Calicos are plentiful and BIG. Water was 61 F. Vis about 20 feet. Good time had by all. Thank you Luis for being my buddy today!

Mark

Went for a dive with Luis this morning (@metalheadluigi). Great guy and great diver!. We dove Shaw's Cove. Been a while since I dove that cove. Saw huge green abalone and a number of decent-sized lobster. Now that it is a reserve the Sheepshead and Calicos are plentiful and BIG. Water was 61 F. Vis about 20 feet. Good time had by all. Thank you Luis for being my buddy today!

Mark

Way back when I'd seen sheepshead so big there that people said I was lying when I told them about them. And I always saw a couple together--a male and a female.

Appreciate the kind words Mark. Thank YOU for showing me around a phenomenal dive site. I'll hopefully get around to making a video highlight reel for the dive, but until then:

Shaw's Cove, 3-Jan-2019

Luis

The nudibranch is a Spanish Shawl (Flabellinopsis iodinea).

The small white.guy is a Blackeye Goby (Rhinogobiops nicholsii)

The long brown thing is not a nudibranch but rather a Giant California Sea Cucumber (Parastichopus californicus - I think).

The small blue and orange fish is a juvenile Garibaldi.

Looking forward to your video.

Mark

Luis, where's my close-up!. Just kidding. Great memory of a great dive.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom