Shore Diving Maui West Side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be in Maui at the end of July and was thinking of doing some shore diving around the area where I will be staying which is in Napili (Kahana Sunset to be exact). I have snorkeled the area quite a bit and was thinking of doing some shore dives including night diving with my 11-year old son. I am not looking for surprises (i.e strong currents, tiger sharks, etc.). With that in mind I was wondering if any of the locals can offer suggestions for any local dive spots including good spots for dusk/night dives.

Last time I was in Hawaii is was Christmas of 2012/13 and the only guided night dive I planned at Kapalua it was cancelled because a tiger shark attacked a turtle in the area. I did do a Kayak and scooter dive off Kapalua, and the conditions and environment appeared fairly safe. But given that my buddy is an 11 year old, I wanted to check with some of the more experienced local divers.

I do have plans for boat dives, but I do like the idea of exploring the local area.

Shore dives on West side: night dive at Black rock- shallow calm, stuff to sea. Old airport- great corals, could also be a night dive. As you go North conditions are rougher. South of Lahaina is Olawalu, a shallow shore dive ( better from a boat) but very pretty. Focus on these three. Old airport is worth a couple of dives. If you don't mind driving for a ways, South of Kihei is Ulua Bay, and it's a great shore dive and worth the drive.
DivemasterDennis

Don't forget to try the Old Mala Wharf in Lahaina. Well worth the effort. :)

And 5 Caves at Makena Landing south of Kihei.

Back
Top Bottom