Shore Diving Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
Doug are you saying we have to tow it or can we place the flag out in the sand and then pick it up on our way back?

As far as dive flags go, they really should be towed. Unless you want to tie it off on something and stay within a 150' radius of the flag (which really isn't always practical).
Towing the dive flag has several benefits:

1: It marks the location of divers underwater so that boats can avoid running over you (this doesn't work when you tie off then swim out another twenty minutes like most of the divers actually do around here).

2: It helps a lost diver find his group quickly and easily. If you tie the flag off, then get separated, how do you know where to look for someone? It can be quite innappropriate to swim a long distance on the surface back to the flag if the divers are actually nowhere near it.

3: Towing the flag keeps you within the safety zone that the flag affords you and keeps you in compliance with state regulations. It's hard to determine which direction a boat is coming from when you're underwater. I cringe every time I hear one getting loud above me. Even with my flag in tow, there are times when boats simply disregard it and buzz right by. I never want any one of my divers to get hit by a boat, I want to make sure my flag is there. I'm doing my best to protect my guests safety. It's a really small price to pay and it's good excercise for the legs, yeah?

I was approached by a local ranger several months ago when I took out some snorkelers for a tour. He asked me where my flag was. I told him I was snorkeling, not SCUBA diving. He asked if I went under the water. I said "I did, but my clients spent 99% of the time at the surface." He instructed me to take the flag anytime anyone goes below the surface.

It's a small hassle towing the thing around but not nearly as annoying as a blood gushing head wound. I know of two people who dove without flags and got hit by speed boats (two separate occasions in the US Virgin Islands back in the 90's). I saw the end results and neither were pretty. Both divers suffered a very painful and horrifying death as a result. They were diving on their own, just "playing around" in shallow water. I personally know the DM's who responded to these accidents. They are forever changed people. If these divers had taken flags with them and they would probably still be diving today.

I always take my flag no matter what. Even with it, I have had a few close calls with boats. CYA is a good rule to follow. It's easier to prevent an accident than to take care of the mess after one.

In San Diego there are sites that require each diver to tow a torpedo dive flag float around with them. Since it gets so crowded there it was pretty humorous looking looking at hundreds of little red torpedos getting drug all over the place.

Sounds like it's nearly like that in Hawaii now but not quite. I agree that towing a flag is safest, I just hate to do it :)

DvrRick:
Aloha! I'll be in Maui in early September and will do several boat dives. I would like to know whether it would be worth hauling all my dive gear along with my luggage to be able to shore dive as well. The extra $10 per boat dive gear rental fee is not an issue for me. I just want to know how accessible (I'll have a vehicle) shore diving is from Kaanapali and whether I would really be missing out by not hauling a dive bag around with me.

Also any personal experiences (good and bad) with local Maui Dive outfits would be helpful. Thank you!

Unless you plan on doing Lots of shore dives, its worth the convience of renting the equiptment. There's rentals at Kaanipali and you'd probably get a good deal with any of the boat dive companies. There's a popular night dive spot right there at Kaanipali. Black Rock. Easy entry and exit. I dove Black Rock an a fairly rough evening. There were 2' surges. However it was easy in and out and lots to see. I got to see a red octopus and an 8" frog fish. Several lobsters too. If youre new to the area I difinitely reccomend you go on a calm evening. It's safer and very enjoyable. I used to free dive their evenings before I was certified and the current can be pretty strong.
When you get to the Kihei area, specifically Wailea, there are lot's of Beaches that many of the Dive Companies go. Lots to see and easy entry and exits.
Thats just the begining but lots to do. Enjoy and ALOHA

If I was planning on 1 dive I'd bring my own gear :wink: that said, you can do several shore dives per day from the Kaanapali area - there are probably 15 popular/nice shore dive spots within a 20 min. drive of Kaanapali Between Honolua (North) and the Pali area (South)

Have fun!

Tim

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of bringing my gear or renting. I just received "The Divers Guide to Maui" and am looking that over for sites to dive or snorkel. Hmmm...decisions, decisions. :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom