Shore diving on Cayman Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently made my first visit to Cayman Brac. I knew nearly nothing about shore diving on the Brac before my visit and had arranged only boat diving. I missed one day of diving due to Tropical Storm Philippe so went exploring with one of CBBR's bikes. I stopped at Scuba Shack and picked up a great resource, Shore Diving Guide to Cayman Brac, published by the Sister Island Tourism Association. Twenty six shore diving sites are listed in the guide, along with directions to the site, a dive map, and helpful hints. A dive flag is required for shore diving. As it is not drift diving, it can be secured on a mooring buoy or elsewhere while you dive and retrieved on the way in. Shore diving cylinders and flags are available from Reef Divers at CBBR and from Scuba Shack. Scuba Shack offers guided shore dives. I did 4 of the listed shore dives by boat during my visit, Buccaneer Reef, Charlie's Reef, Grunt Valley, and Radar Reef. All of these dives were very nice shallow reef dives.

The shore dive map:
upload_2017-10-31_17-59-51.png

I easily found the signage for Buccaneer Reef on my bike ride. There is a very easy entry in the old salt water pool for the Buccaneer's Inn. You can also do the Tibbet's wreck and/or the wall from here, though it is a significant surface swim.
upload_2017-10-31_18-4-38.png

upload_2017-10-31_18-5-0.png

upload_2017-10-31_18-5-19.png

Even though my bike ride was limited, I also found the signage for Scott's Dock and the wreck of the Kissimme. I'm told that Scott's Dock is a wonderful night dive.
upload_2017-10-31_18-8-55.png

On my next visit to Brac, I will likely do a 2 tank boat dive each morning, especially for the deep wall dives. In the afternoon, I will likely do shore dives, especially for access for more of the eastern, north shore sites, infrequently visited by boat. What a nice island!!

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_17-58-57.png
    upload_2017-10-31_17-58-57.png
    322 KB · Views: 322
@scubadada
Thank you for sharing this information. It's good to know about shore diving alternatives and options. Nice signage and instructions make it more appealing and of interest.

My wife and I just visited Little Cayman and managed to put in a few shore dives there. There are no signs and instructions are limited; however, the 3 shore dives we did were actually the most relaxing and enjoyable ones through our 9 day stay. Nothing wrong with the boat dives nor anything like that, but just being in control of your time, taking it all in and putting in long relaxing dives is priceless. We went deep at first, then slowly found our way back to the shallows. Awesom experience.

We did hear about signs and directions being recently posted on Brac; however, not yet in Little Cayman... maybe soon.

Thanks for your report and for sharing.

Ricardo

Thanks for the info, making our first boat diving trip to Brac next month. Recently started hearing about the shore diving so will be checking it out and accomodations on northwest side for a future trip. Shore Diving Guide to Cayman Brac at Scuba Shack, will get it.
Would you use the bikes again or rent a vehicle just for sightseeing?

Thanks for the info, making our first boat diving trip to Brac next month. Recently started hearing about the shore diving so will be checking it out and accomodations on northwest side for a future trip. Shore Diving Guide to Cayman Brac at Scuba Shack, will get it.
Would you use the bikes again or rent a vehicle just for sightseeing?
You would need a car for shore diving, bike was fine for looking around in a limited radius.

Any car rental suggestions convenient for people staying at Cayman Brac beach resort.

Any car rental suggestions convenient for people staying at Cayman Brac beach resort.
I did not rent a car, however, there is a rental agency very close to CBBR, B & S Motor Ventures. There is another agency next door to Scuba Shack in the same building, Four D's Car Rentals . Scuba Shack is also quite close to CBBR. I believe both will pick up from the airport or your lodging. I plan on renting a car on my next stay for shore diving and longer excursions.

I haven't been there in a while, but as a matter of daily use, you won't need a car if you are staying at CBBR except to go out sightseeing or shore diving. I know in the past, I have heard that some places will bring the car to you at the resort, so you might check with CBBR to see if they have somebody they know of that is willing to bring the car to the resort. Then you can just pick a day or two when you think you are going to want to go drive around and have the car delivered and picked up for those days only.

Also heading to CBBR for first time next month! What is the story with shore diving from the resort, or better stated lack of it? Seems like there are sites listed in that area. Not possible to get out to the reef?

Cayman Brac is on the south side of the island. It has a lagoon with a fringing reef. The fringing reef is pretty close to shore. But a wide expanse of it is either very shallow or exposed. Swimming from shore and climbing over the rocks in scuba gear does not sound like any fun to me, or even a good idea. There is a cut through the reef at Brac Reef Resort, but they really, really discourage using it. From CBRR, I could swim out to the shallow reef beyond or even to the wall beyond. But I like swimming. I doubt that any of my scuba buddies would go for it.

I met a lady whilst boat diving on the Brac. He family, husband, he and two teenagers were renting a house on the north side. They shore dived there. If you have a group, renting a house and shore diving makes a bunch of sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom