Shore Diving Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southernshark2.0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey i cant really find anything online so if you guys have answers please respond. If you know places in Texas on the gulf with shore diving please let me know since I'm just wondering about diving somewhat near me.

-Thanks

Outside of the many lakes and rivers there is some limited shore diving on the coast. The best bet for any visibility
is the jetties at South Padre Island. Other places that I know people dive are Packery Jetties and Port Aransas Jetties the chances of visibility north of that are very slim. although most years Galveston will clear up for a short time in late summer during drought type conditions. If you have a 4 wheel drive truck and a boat you can launch from shore and hit 71/2 fathom reef off of Padre Island or some of the close in rigs. I have Kayaked out to some of the close rigs out of Freeport and found 10' visibility. I know this isn't much when you look at the map but diving the Texas coast is much better if you get out on a boat.

Outside of the many lakes and rivers there is some limited shore diving on the coast. The best bet for any visibility
is the jetties at South Padre Island. Other places that I know people dive are Packery Jetties and Port Aransas Jetties the chances of visibility north of that are very slim. although most years Galveston will clear up for a short time in late summer during drought type conditions. If you have a 4 wheel drive truck and a boat you can launch from shore and hit 71/2 fathom reef off of Padre Island or some of the close in rigs. I have Kayaked out to some of the close rigs out of Freeport and found 10' visibility. I know this isn't much when you look at the map but diving the Texas coast is much better if you get out on a boat.

Ive heard about this reef but i cant find any recent video of things going on there. I don't really know what happened, but in Padre i asked a local dive master about it and he said people just don't go out there anymore. Its weird and I wonder why, but if you have any knowledge of the reef i would love to know.

you've probably found these - not much, mostly lakes or take a boat?

texas site:ShoreDiving.com - Google Search
Scuba Diving in Texas
Scuba Diving Around Texas - Houston's Premier Scuba and Dive Shop Oceanic Ventures Inc.
Top 10 Best Places To Scuba Dive In Texas

Regions with a wide continental shelf tend to not lend themselves to good shore diving.

Yeah all the stuff is offshore which I hope to do one day, but being young and all my parents probably don't want me going out in the middle of the ocean for a whole day. Thank you for the links i will look at these.

7 1/2 fathom reef is about 1 1/4 miles offshore Padre Island. If I remember right it is just past mile marker 40
That area needs a 4 wheel drive and you are restricted to a soft hull boat of under 12 foot to use a motor or a paddle boat. Every one I know that has dove it was spearfishing so no video. You can also catch a boat out of South Padre to reach it. GPS is 26 51.286N, 097 20.028W complements of Wookie

7 1/2 fathom reef is about 1 1/4 miles offshore Padre Island. If I remember right it is just past mile marker 40
That area needs a 4 wheel drive and you are restricted to a soft hull boat of under 12 foot to use a motor or a paddle boat. Every one I know that has dove it was spearfishing so no video. You can also catch a boat out of South Padre to reach it. GPS is 26 51.286N, 097 20.028W complements of Wookie

Thank You

Yesterday was one of those rare days with visibility in Galveston. Beach goers reported that they could see their feet in 5 foot of water. Fishermen at the close rigs estimate they could see fish 30 feet down.

From what I remember swimming in the gulf, if you dive 6 feet down, it becomes night time, so much of particles in the water. Even with a flashlight you hardly can see 4 feet ahead. Add to that that except the sand there is nothing to see. Altogether, Texas has gotten a short end of the stick, shore diving wise.

From what I remember swimming in the gulf, if you dive 6 feet down, it becomes night time, so much of particles in the water. Even with a flashlight you hardly can see 4 feet ahead. Add to that that except the sand there is nothing to see. Altogether, Texas has gotten a short end of the stick, shore diving wise.
4 ft is good enough for me lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom